Options

2 possible jobs-need advice

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
I have a quick question have two job opportunities that came up, I’m not sure what to do…I need some advice.
Job#1
I had an interview with on Tuesday and it was for an IT assistant position for a small company. They told me they would make their decision on Friday (tomorrow).
I just had a few concerns…

The IT manager talked a lot about how the position involved remote desk top, troubleshooting, but he kept bringing up how the job involved data entry. Entering clients names into a website or data base.
One point he mentioned how he had emails during the interview waiting for him that needed to be entered. He looked at the clock a few times, this made me feel awkward.
So I asked how much data entry do they do per day , and he said he didn’t know.. this left me puzzled.

So then I asked what’s the biggest challenge you face, that I could help you with if I was selected for this role? He said help with the data entry.
I keep thinking this is a data entry role, masked as an IT role.

JOB2
Help Desk analyst position at a big company. I had an interview with a recruiter and this job is contract to hire, but I really hope I get considered. He is sending my application in to another recruiting company in MN. According to the recruiter there are 20 positions open at this company.

What would you do? Hold out for job 2? Take job 1? Something about job one makes me feel uneasy. I really want job 2!! I haven’t got any offers yet, I’m just wondering..
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a quick question have two job opportunities that came up, I’m not sure what to do…I need some advice.
    Job#1
    I had an interview with on Tuesday and it was for an IT assistant position for a small company. They told me they would make their decision on Friday (tomorrow).
    I just had a few concerns…

The IT manager talked a lot about how the position involved remote desk top, troubleshooting, but he kept bringing up how the job involved data entry. Entering clients names into a website or data base.
    One point he mentioned how he had emails during the interview waiting for him that needed to be entered. He looked at the clock a few times, this made me feel awkward.
    So I asked how much data entry do they do per day , and he said he didn’t know.. this left me puzzled.

So then I asked what’s the biggest challenge you face, that I could help you with if I was selected for this role? He said help with the data entry.
    I keep thinking this is a data entry role, masked as an IT role.

JOB2
    Help Desk analyst position at a big company. I had an interview with a recruiter and this job is contract to hire, but I really hope I get considered. He is sending my application in to another recruiting company in MN. According to the recruiter there are 20 positions open at this company.

What would you do? Hold out for job 2? Take job 1? Something about job one makes me feel uneasy. I really want job 2!! I haven’t got any offers yet, I’m just wondering..

Hold out for job #2. You've already talked yourself out of #1. It does sound a little shady. The big company will probably allow more growth potential, and all in all, you sound like that position is more appealing.

I learned very recently (a month ago), that things generally work out if you're patient (and not a bum). I'm sure you'll get the position you want...but I'd keep looking in the meantime. Good luck man
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Agree with Mrock4's suggestion and with your assessment. Sounds like they desperately need a person who can do data entry and then cover other tasks if time permits. Too many red flags in my opinion.
  • Options
    toshinden5toshinden5 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think go with Job #2 as it sounds more promising than job #1. If your resume aligns up with the help desk analyst job, you should be good to go.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Take the job behind Door number 2...its a no brainiericon_thumright.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't know but certifications aren't helping me one dang bit right now. Masters probably won't ether. Not sure how you get a job in this economy.
    He is sending my application in to another recruiting company in MN. According to the recruiter there are 20 positions open at this company.

themagicone, looks like you should apply there too since you have been looking for work. Please don't hate me for posting this. Just trying to help out icon_lol.gif