Options

Any IBM Tivoli Guy Here?

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
I would bet no one will chime in and say they have dealt with this particular middleware from IBM, since I have not yet seen a single post about this. I work with Netcool/OMNIbus suite program at work, but I want to know if anyone here at TE is familiar with this.

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would bet no one will chime in and say they have dealt with this particular middleware from IBM, since I have not yet seen a single post about this. I work with Netcool/OMNIbus suite program at work, but I want to know if anyone here at TE is familiar with this.

Yup! My last job I dealt with netcool extensively. I had an offer recently from IBM to work with the netcool program (training customers), but declined due to taking another position.

Now, we use netcool at my new job, but I work in a different capacity, so no more playing with netcool.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Yup! My last job I dealt with netcool extensively. I had an offer recently from IBM to work with the netcool program (training customers), but declined due to taking another position.

Can you please explain why you stopped working with it? Is it because of how frustrating or time-consuming it is to continue supporting the product? I'm not surprised that IBM asked you to train the customers if you are good at it.

I just had training class twice within the last 4 weeks, and I'm still hanging in there. My only fuss about it is that it's not as easy to understand how the whole system works compares to playing around with a UNIX server or Windows server due to very low available resources on the Internet. The only way I can become good at it if I continue to shell out more money to IBM and ask for helps, but sometimes they aren't always helpful.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can you please explain why you stopped working with it? Is it because of how frustrating or time-consuming it is to continue supporting the product? I'm not surprised that IBM asked you to train the customers if you are good at it.

I just had training class twice within the last 4 weeks, and I'm still hanging in there. My only fuss about it is that it's not as easy to understand how the whole system works compares to playing around with a UNIX server or Windows server due to very low available resources on the Internet. The only way I can become good at it if I continue to shell out more money to IBM and ask for helps, but sometimes they aren't always helpful.

I was only working with it because my previous role required me to- in other words, I didn't apply to become the netcool guy, it just happened.

Netcool engineers get paid ridiculous amounts..I would absolutely stick with it if you become good at it. I was seeing several 6 figure jobs, but unfortunately none in this area.

It's definitely not a easy platform to learn/become comfortable with in my opinion. Lots going on. On the brightside, it is extremely scalable, and I have now seen it in use in two enterprise environments with global networks, both of which where it performed like a champ.

The training is ridiculously expensive, though, you're right about that.