Trying to Get Motivated

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So I am reaching my expiration date on my CCENT, so I figured it is high time to take ICND2 and get my CCNA. At this point though I am having a hard time getting motivated to finish. I always wanted my CCNA, but won't get to use it very much where I am now (I touch Windows Servers on a daily basis, Cisco equipment is rare at best). I think at this point I am just going to grit my teech and push through it so I can move onto some Server related stuff. Any tips for staying motivated?
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't know if money is a motivating factor, but if you check out Level 2-3 NOC positions, with only 2-4 experience I see they consistently make 70-95K/yr in my area. These positions at minimum ask for CCNA.
  • MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't try to motivate yourself to do something you don't want to do. If your calling is for servers, don't force yourself through the hardcore networking training. View the certs as an investment to get where you want to be; if you don't want to have a job working with networking gear, don't bother with a lot of networking certs. You'd probably be better off going the Microsoft route, as they're more applicable to what seems to be your core competency.
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Mierdin wrote: »
    Don't try to motivate yourself to do something you don't want to do. If your calling is for servers, don't force yourself through the hardcore networking training. View the certs as an investment to get where you want to be; if you don't want to have a job working with networking gear, don't bother with a lot of networking certs. You'd probably be better off going the Microsoft route, as they're more applicable to what seems to be your core competency.

I disagree. I was in the same boat as the OP last year, where I had my CCENT, but wasn't very motivated to go get the CCNA. I was working with servers all day long. However, after I started studying for the CCNA, I found out how much more I like working with Cisco than I do servers. Although I'm still working on servers, I'm also at a position that allows me to work with switches/routers on a daily basis.
  • MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Of course everyone should branch out and find new things they want to do. I was only pointing out that if you've played with the Cisco concepts and find that it's not your thing, there's no sense in continuing on for the sake of the cert itself.

Many people do learn through the process of studying, but the certs are too expensive to get just for the heck of it. The OP used the phrase "grit my teeth", so I assumed that since he's obviously played with Cisco gear in the past, he's already made the determination that it's not something he likes to do.
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    johnnyarks wrote: »
    Don't know if money is a motivating factor, but if you check out Level 2-3 NOC positions, with only 2-4 experience I see they consistently make 70-95K/yr in my area. These positions at minimum ask for CCNA.

Damn dude. You just motivated me alright since I live in the neck of your wood. icon_lol.gif
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    More jobs you can apply for if you need to.

Windows server admins are dime a dozen. icon_wink.gif

Windows server + ccna, not as common.

Ccna certs aren't that expensive even with buying a decent lab setup.
    (about one six pack less frosty beverages a week over a year)

Having that extra cert can help with getting past HR people in the hiring process , then its up to your skills.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mierdin wrote: »

I have to agree. If you aren't interested, than don't do it.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Forgot to say its a lot easier to learn stuff when you are younger
    and a lot less distractions (family ,on call etc)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • luisYmeluisYme Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    my $0.02... the more you know not only in depth (expert level in one area, like networking) but broad knowledge (junior to mid-level knowledge in many areas) tends to drastically increase a tech's value.

so, learn more... always, and pick your favorite area to focus.

good luck!icon_cheers.gif
  • pardesipardesi Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    alxx wrote: »
    Forgot to say its a lot easier to learn stuff when you are younger
    and a lot less distractions (family ,on call etc)

The same here too !!!!!
  • andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    My advice is that getting your CCNA is not going to be a bad option,who knows what may happen tomorrow,you knowing server and networking will be more of a factor to be consider for employment by an employer than a person will either server or networking knowledge.Man go for it.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well I took everyones advice and continued studying, things have gotten better. I'm recalling a lot, but still going through all the ICND1 videos to get a good refresher. The CCNA will help with my ultimate goals and like a lot of you guys said, it is needed knowledge. Thanks again guys!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    To the OP, you can do it man! I definitely understand what you're saying about not usually working on Cisco gear, or networking in general, and then investing time studying on that topic. My advice for motivation, which may help, may not, is to do it in order to be well rounded!

I have worked in the past with people who for some odd reason (at least I thought at the time) were getting several certs for stuff which we didn't even come in contact with on a day to day basis. Needless to say these people are now employed with some pretty sick (high paying) jobs. For example, they had their CCNP's and then went down the line getting their CCDA, CCNA security, CCNA voice. Along with other non-Cisco certs.. Granted, they invested a LOT of time into this lol. I questioned how the heck they had all the time to do this, because at the time going for my CCNA was a battle in itself. And they said once they had their NP a lot of the material covered in the various NA's was the same i.e. they touch on ipv4, ipv6, eigrp, ospf, etc. And since the NP goes into great detail on this, there were literally sections of the books which they already knew.

Basically my whole point is make yourself a more well-rounded person. When a hiring manager sees a resume for a person with several certs, if anything, it will make you look like you are interested in advancing and staying current with technology, definite pluses. The best way to do this to not get overwhelmed imho, and it's been said over and over by others, is to think where you want to be in say, 5 years. Something that's stuck with me that was advice these guys gave me is to learn all these technologies, and even if you can't go deep in the weeds in discussing them, you'll be able to talk about them. And learning several technologies will honestly make you capable of learning newer ones in the future at a faster pace, imho. Take care
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi