Options

Whats you guys perception on "true programmers"?

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have been working at this Help Desk which is my first IT job for two months now and one of the guys who started with my hire group quit. Someone told me about it and then said "the man was a true programmer, didn't know how to talk to people". Is this true of "true programmers" that they don't know how to talk to people? I've talked with a really really good programmer before (freakin godly) and she knows how to talk to people very well! I just think it's a stereotype is all.
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    kingslayerkingslayer Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Maybe in a bigger company where other people can be hired to talk to clients about requirements etc..but in a small company (at least in mine) all the developers spend a lot of time talking to clients so their people skills are just as good as their coding skills.
    2011 Goals: 70-433 | 70-432
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kingslayer wrote: »
    Maybe in a bigger company where other people can be hired to talk to clients about requirements etc..but in a small company (at least in mine) all the developers spend a lot of time talking to clients so their people skills are just as good as their coding skills.

+1

Most developers I know spend a great deal of time with the requirements going back and forth.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i agree i think it depends also on what you are programming. some one writng a database for example for a client needs to have very good people skills to gather info from the client and create a product fit for purpose. On the other hand some one programing a very specilised application. (such as modeling the heart). is more lickly to work in a small tightly focused group of "nerds/geeks" who although with in that group will have great people skills to outsiders may seem to struggle. People skills is a strange term, good people skills does not mean you have to be able to talk to anyone and every one. but the people you need to for your job.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It sounds like a term that could be switched out with pretty much anyone in a technical or scientific field. . . or even with the word "nerd" or "geek". Your coworkers have probably just latched onto the word "programmer" the way Scott Adams uses "engineer", just as a catch-all for someone with poor social prowess but highly-developed technical skills.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Could have been one of those mainframe guys icon_lol.gif. I still havn't met one who's not nuts.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I know several skilled programmers that are very clever/witty, although I don't know them in their professional capacity. The guys I know mostly are people that are working on open source projects (not getting paid and doing it because they love programming).
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Slowhand wrote: »
    It sounds like a term that could be switched out with pretty much anyone in a technical or scientific field. . . or even with the word "nerd" or "geek". Your coworkers have probably just latched onto the word "programmer" the way Scott Adams uses "engineer", just as a catch-all for someone with poor social prowess but highly-developed technical skills.

I agree I think what they where trying to say is that the person in question just lacked social skills.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    I agree I think what they where trying to say is that the person in question just lacked social skills.

I work with programmers and some fit the stereotype while others do not. Typically we do not let our developers communicate with clients, that's why we have a customer service department. I have noticed that many programmers know how to code but lack the front-end skills. Our CS people direct the developer on building the interface and the programming dept manages the underlying code.