Options

best way to learn linux commands?

blackberryblackberry Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just downloaded the newest ubuntu using VM player and have been practicing simple commands such as changing passwords and navigating through the file systems.

what is the best way to become more efficient and teach myself?

Should i buy a study guide type tutorial?

should i buy a different type of platform?

i am limited due to using vmplayer

you tube videos?

cbtnuggets

thank you in advance

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The best way to learn Linux commands is by using them. Practice, practice, practice. After a while the common ones will stick and you can add others to your arsenal.

But, it's probably better to focus on learning Linux (and it's services and tools) rather than "linux commands" in particular, especially once you are familiar with the basics. For example, follow a tutorial on setting up a LAMP server and you'll learn several commands along the way. Also try and make it a habit of using a command with --help before actually using it.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with Webmaster, the best way is to just use those simple commands and build on that.

You've taken the first step.
  • Options
    idr0pidr0p Member Posts: 104
    Yea i would break my box and have to figure out how to fix it in middle/high school... that how i learned nix*
  • Options
    thank you guys, now what i am using is a quick study guide, should i google the standard linux commands?
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blackberry wrote: »
    thank you guys, now what i am using is a quick study guide, should i google the standard linux commands?

Man pages is what you should use .. They are very helpful (although sometimes massive).

The way I learned Linux was installing it on my workstation and every change I had to perform I did via the command line. This obviously requires a bit of willpower as it is easier to just revert back to the UI when frustrated :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Webmaster wrote: »
    The best way to learn Linux commands is by using them. Practice, practice, practice. After a while the common ones will stick and you can add others to your arsenal.

But, it's probably better to focus on learning Linux (and it's services and tools) rather than "linux commands" in particular, especially once you are familiar with the basics. For example, follow a tutorial on setting up a LAMP server and you'll learn several commands along the way. Also try and make it a habit of using a command with --help before actually using it.

^^ This.

Flip your thinking around if you really want to learn it fast, make Linux your host OS, and run Windows inside of a VM. Doing that will force you to learn it faster. You'll always do most tasks in your host OS.
  • Options
    thank you, so do you guys thing ubuntu enough? or should i invest in another platform
  • Options
    Every Distro is going to have its diffrent quirks but once you have a firm understanding you should be able to transition to others with ease.

Ubuntu is more then enougth. I started many years ago with things like Slax and DSL but I never really picked it up until I started using Ubuntu a few years later.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    thank you, so do you guys thing ubuntu enough? or should i invest in another platform

Ideally, you would use one of the other distros that has an Enterprise counterpart but Ubuntu is perfectly adequate for learning basic Linux stuff. However, you will want to do some research before diving in as the latest and (questionably) greatest versions of Ubuntu have a lot of issues and it's not always easy to figure out what is what by just looking at it. Also, you need to check the compatibility of your hardware as not everything will run well on Linux, especially if it's newer hardware that has questionable driver support.
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ubuntu is perfectly fine for starting out. When you are just getting your feet wet you will not note the differences anyway, except for package management probably.

Let me give you an example on how I think you should tackle it:
    If you know that "passwd" changes a users password then find out what it is really doing in the background. Linux (as opposed to other OSes) is very transparent. See what the commands you use really do to have a look behind the curtains. Once you grasp the concept(s) it really won't matter is you are dealing with Ubuntu, Red Hat or any other distribution.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out some of the threads under the Linux+ forum.
    This one in particular
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/linux/62968-use-old-linux-lpic-material-study-new-linux.html#post506677
    (looks familiar? )
    :P

I do have to give props to the simplicity of this site
    LinuxCommand.org: Learn the Linux command line. Write shell scripts.

It's really a great confidence builder, and gives you the tools to at least navigate the linux environment using the command line.

The companion PDF goes into much more detail and is written in the same style (with activities :) )
    LinuxCommand.org: Learn the Linux command line. Write shell scripts.

If your a newb (as I am) I strongly recommend going through the online tutorials first in the prescribed sequence.
  • Options
    wow, thank you guys so much ive been "playing" with ubuntu with the links provided!

i am eager to learn and teach my self

thank you guys for all the replies!icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The best way I've found is to get feet wet is to make it "real". Take a task that you are familiar with on another platform, such as installing software in windows, building a web server, changing network settings, monitoring processes etc. Then, step through it in Linux to get a feel for things.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go through all these scenarios. It is awesome.

Linux Home Networking - Tutorials and Forums
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote: »
    Go through all these scenarios. It is awesome.

Linux Home Networking - Tutorials and Forums

thanks doing this as we speak

so i decided to download opensuse 11.4, rather than using ubuntu

ive been learning alot through all the advice. thanks again
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks doing this as we speak

so i decided to download opensuse 11.4, rather than using ubuntu

ive been learning alot through all the advice. thanks again

Sweet! I've been promoting this site just about since I've joined and I think you are the first to actually look at doing these. :)

Or at least the first that was vocal about it.

I learned a lot of my Linux knowledge from doing these. It is just so well done.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    NewManSoonNewManSoon Banned Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    here are some things you should learn/explore , sorry if they were already mentioned :)

user /group management (changing passwords, adding users etc)
    patching and installing drivers

repairing boot loaders (ie grub / grub 2 , lilo ) - not sure if Lilo is even used anymore.

networking (including wireless)

X windowing system

shell scripting

linux directory structure (most distro's are almost identical, with some differences)

compiling

file/directory permissions (chown , chmod)

iptables (use this to build your firewall)

LAMP (Apache, MySQL , PHP/Perl/Python) - webserver stuff

fstab

linux kernel

Package management / repositories (varies between distro's) ie: Redhat/Centos/Fedora differs from Debian/*buntu

searching for files using various tools (find , whereis , locate)

That should get you started... I think everything I listed is very important (with the exception of maybe the web server stuff) and should be part of your linux knowledge. There are many things I did not mention, but as you use Linux more, you will come up with a new list of your own :)

Let me know if you want to elaborate on anything further.

Google, man pages (ie man <command>) and forums are obviously great resources. Ubuntu has an amazing community and several wiki's for almost any task you might want help with.

Good luck!
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Has Linux+ ever helped any of you get your start with Linux?
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Has Linux+ ever helped any of you get your start with Linux?

Not for a job but it does give you a good foundation to buildup on