Dead 2950?

odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
I started labbing today and after clearing out one of my 2950's (write erase and delete vlan.dat) it would not boot. I have a blinking amber syst light and two solid gigabyte lights even though nothing is plugged into them.

I managed once to get into recovery mode once. I mange to then init the flash and boot. I then notice the switch would not ping clients. I reloaded the switch and now I am unable to get a console session and I have the above lights blinking.

Does this mean the switch has gone bad?
Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action

Comments

• dave dunlapdave dunlap Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It would not go bad by doing that.

your should have a prompt

for a router it is
    romon>

i forgot what prompt for a switch is

you will need to either copy a new flash via
    tftp +fastet,,, or slowest takes hours xmodem, found in hyperterm or teraterm.
  • MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It would not go bad by doing that.

your should have a prompt

for a router it is
    romon>

i forgot what prompt for a switch is

The prompt is "switch:". If you see this, you're in ROMMON and your switch didn't boot into IOS right. What you did shouldn't have erased the IOS image stored in flash, just would have cleared NVRAM.

Try this: rockingmonkey: Switch - when ROMmon mode
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well I think the switch is having hardware issues.

I managed to get into switch mode again this morning. I then used xmodem to delete the flash and update a fresh IOS.

After it was up and running the IOS, I reloaded the switch and it again hung with the amber syst amber blinking light.

I was not able to get a console session with it again. So for now its in the corner. I have a spare 2950 (4 total) so I can continue my labbing. I have my exam in two weeks and dont have time to deal with it.

Maybe its a sign to get a 3550 :)
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • esswokesswok Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I remember having this same issue

when you transfer the file from say hyperterminal and use the xmodem command

their is an additional command -r ? no -c yes

-r does load it into an area unsaved, then when you shut down, or reload it is gone I think the -c

I have used this link to fix the

switch:

Recovering Catalyst Fixed Configuration Switches from a Corrupted or Missing Image - Cisco Systems
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe its a sign to get a 3550 :)

I like the way you think. icon_thumright.gif
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    esswok wrote: »
    I remember having this same issue

when you transfer the file from say hyperterminal and use the xmodem command

their is an additional command -r ? no -c yes

-r does load it into an area unsaved, then when you shut down, or reload it is gone I think the -c

I have used this link to fix the

switch:

Recovering Catalyst Fixed Configuration Switches from a Corrupted or Missing Image - Cisco Systems

I'll check it out but not getting my hopes up. The simple fact that the system wont give a console session period shows signs its hardware. If I can't POST then I don't think its a image problem.

I did the exact procedure on my spare switch to get it up and running and had no issues.
  • MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Maybe its a sign to get a 3550 icon_smile.gif
    I like the way you think. icon_thumright.gif

Yeah, if that's a possibility, do that.I've slowly built my lab over time with a conglomerate of devices, but I'm going to start phasing in some newer switches now that I have a job to pay for it. It's always good to have up-to-date hardware in your lab so you're not limited while you're exploring new things.
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless