Options

Will Ubuntu 10.10 do the trick?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I have this version of Linux on one of my old Dells. I have it connected to the router and it seems to be working well. I have very little experience working with Linux other than RHEL at work.

I have the bug to learn and to be honest the only thing that interest me until I start at WGU is Linux. Would running this distro and using CompTIA Linux + certification guide be enough to learn and pass the exams?

I really am lacking in my Linux knowledge and I want to try to pick up some in my free time. Believe me this is not a sprint, but more like a marathon.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    it should work most of linux+ is general information and commands that arent tied to any distro
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    it should work most of linux+ is general information and commands that arent tied to any distro

Thanks for the heads up. I start WGU in November and I am wanting to do Linux + and learn the material before I start at WGU
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ubuntu is debian based (similar but more of an offshoot), you'd also want to play around with Fedora or CentOS (Red hat based).
    One of the major differences is package management.
    Where Ubuntu uses Advanced Package Tools (APT) for Deb packages and Fedora utilizes Yum, for RPM package management.

That seems to be about the major thing to keep in mind while preparing for the Linux+ (as far as I can tell).

However, you certainly want to get yourself familiar with CentOS , which was designed for Enterprise/Server use (Community ENTerprise OS). You could accomplish the same tasks using Ubuntu with some tweaking.
  • Options
    ccnxjr wrote: »
    Ubuntu is debian based (similar but more of an offshoot), you'd also want to play around with Fedora or CentOS (Red hat based).
    One of the major differences is package management.
    Where Ubuntu uses Advanced Package Tools (APT) for Deb packages and Fedora utilizes Yum, for RPM package management.

That seems to be about the major thing to keep in mind while preparing for the Linux+ (as far as I can tell).

However, you certainly want to get yourself familiar with CentOS , which was designed for Enterprise/Server use (Community ENTerprise OS). You could accomplish the same tasks using Ubuntu with some tweaking.

Thanks for the heads up. The author of the book uses SUSE so I am downloading an iso file to install on a thumb drive. The screenshots are based off of that. You are right I really really want to get into the server side adminstration, at least practice and learn.

Hell I just learned what CUPS stood for and I worked in an SAP environment which utilized Unix servers.

Thanks again for the information.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    What everybody said. Any distro will do.

Good luck icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com