computer forensics certs & info sec institute

Big-JJBig-JJ Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hellow experts,

Recently I got interested in computer forensics.

and I would like to get some advice on forensics certs.

Q1. what might the proper/linear order for forensics certs? (Although I have read an awesome post by JDMurray I am not sure regarding where to start. For example, I have rough understanding when it comes to info sec...sec + --> sscp --> cissp etc)

Q2. has anyone tried forensics-related courses offered by infosecinstitute before? Prices seem to be decent (I am not saying they are cheap, but compared to SANS it seems reasonable??)

Appreciate for your help.
Sincerely,
-J-
MBA, CIA, CRMA, CISA, CISM, CRISC, CISSP, PMP

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Believe it or not, the A+ certification is probably the very first cert any CF person should get. For CF, you need to know a lot about hardware (PC and Apple), operating systems (Windows, OS X, Linux), file systems (FAT, NTFS, HPFS+, ext2/3/4), and disk and flash storage systems (RAID, SCSI, SATA, EIDE, SSD, flash drives). The internal operations of Windows (registry, Explorer shell, the life cycle of files, Web browsers), cell phones, media players, gaming consoles, and anything else that can store information is necessary to learn.

Now, the A+ doesn't cover nearly all of that, but it's a start. Macs are so popular with criminals these days (because they are so easy to use and come with all the software they need) that even the Apple technician certs are worth getting.

It's good to get basic security and networking certs (Security+, Network+, CCENT), but they aren't necessary to start CF. You will be learning the EnCase and FTK software, so look into the EnCE and ACE certs first.