STP and Packet Tracer

mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
Packet tracer is pretty much worthless for STP commands. Looks like I am going to have to stop being lazy and use my lab lol.

I cannot do

show spanning-tree root

show spanning-tree bridge

debug spanning-tree events

heck i can't do anything!

Comments

• hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    mark076h wrote: »
    Packet tracer is pretty much worthless for STP commands. Looks like I am going to have to stop being lazy and use my lab lol.

I cannot do

show spanning-tree root

I come across that aswell, packet tracer is useful for the CCENT exams. Buts nothings better than real equipment.
  • MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mark076h wrote: »

I cannot do

show spanning-tree root

Yeah, there's only a few options available, it seems:
    Switch#show spanning-tree ?
      active             Report on active interfaces only
      detail             Detailed information
      inconsistentports  Show inconsistent ports
      interface          Spanning Tree interface status and configuration
      summary            Summary of port states
      vlan               VLAN Switch Spanning Trees
      <cr>
    Switch#

Just remember, Packet Tracer is an emulator, and is inferior to simulators, as well as the real thing. However, in my experience, these kind of things are easy to work around at the CCENT/CCNA level. Most students at that level do just fine with Packet Tracer, and maybe a little bit of work in GNS3 if you really feel compelled to have a full feature set.
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
  • johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mierdin wrote: »
    Yeah, there's only a few options available, it seems:
    Switch#show spanning-tree ?
      active             Report on active interfaces only
      detail             Detailed information
      inconsistentports  Show inconsistent ports
      interface          Spanning Tree interface status and configuration
      summary            Summary of port states
      vlan               VLAN Switch Spanning Trees
      <cr>
    Switch#

Just remember, Packet Tracer is an emulator, and is inferior to simulators, as well as the real thing. However, in my experience, these kind of things are easy to work around at the CCENT/CCNA level. Most students at that level do just fine with Packet Tracer, and maybe a little bit of work in GNS3 if you really feel compelled to have a full feature set.

But GNS3 doesn't have switching.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mierdin wrote: »
    Just remember, Packet Tracer is an emulator, and is inferior to simulators, as well as the real thing.

I believe you have it the other way around. Packet Tracer is a simulator. GNS3 would be an emulator. Here's a good example. If you play the SNES ROMs, you would have to play it on one of the SNES emulators, right? The emulator gives you nearly complete access to whatever features are available as opposed to a simulator, which only have limited features that the programmers enabled.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    johnnyarks wrote: »
    But GNS3 doesn't have switching.

But I believe it can emulate layer-3 switching if you use the right router and IOS version, but it can be glitchy.

For example, you can use the switching feature using 3725 router with IOS version 12.4 and using NM-16ESW network module.

Here's the link: Layer 3 switching
  • andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Yea,the packet tracer does not support some commands and also it supports some commands that are not right,like in the real world or in the simulations on the test,if you are to configure default gateway on a switch you have to configure it globally but in the packet tracer it will accept configuring it on the int vlan1 mode which will not be accepted in real world or in the actual test.