1st time at CCNA

peteyboy64peteyboy64 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
This is my 1st post here.
I have been privaleged (or unprivaleged) to have received free training for being displaced from work twice. The 1st time I got an A+, Net+, and an MCSA in Server 2000.
Now I've just finished an MIS diploma from New Horizons Learning Centers. When all the tests are done, I'll have an MCSE on 2003, Security+, CCNA, and a VMware bootcamp for vSphere4 with no test or cert.
So the school won't let you test until you're 3/4 of the way done with the courseware, which I found strange. So while you're learning new material in class, you have to remember the old stuff and try not to get confused. And do it on your own time.
So I finished the 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, and the 201 version of the Security+. So now I'm MCSA again.
On a sidenote, I found the opposite of 99% of the posters here. I aced the 270 and failed the 290 with a 535, then passed with an 850. I think it's because you all work as admins with hands on servers, and I was level 1/level 2 helpdesk dealing with clients all day.
Just so you know, the courseware I had for the Cisco was ICND1 v1.0 and ICND2 v1.0 with instructor Ken Mayer. He also did the Security+. I recommend him to anyone. He's the best out of all the instructors I had.
I also got some sims on MS VMs from Pearson Education (ICND3 labs). And I got the Wendell Odom Exam Cert Guide as per alot of posters here.
So on to my questions.
Based on the tests I've finished, what are the similarities and differences between the MS/CompTIA test formats and the CCNA one?
Obviously there will be multiple choice and drag and drop which should be about the same.
Odom mentioned testlets that have a scenario then a few multiple choice questions. Are they still being used?
And how do the sims work? Do they ask like, "How do you get into Privileged Mode"? And you type "Enable" after the blinking cursor?
I think I heard about a type of question where you have to use all the show commands to find out what's good/bad/indifferent on router/switch and answer something about that. Is that still being used as well?
I'm a little nervous starting my study for the CCNA single test. Not sure where to start. I was looking over my notes and flipping thru the Odom book. And I'll do the sims again.
Thanks for your help. And thanks to the admins, web fellas, and site creators who have helped out all us n00bs over the years.
Pete

Comments

• peteyboy64peteyboy64 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There's no calculator available like on the MS tests?
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    peteyboy64 wrote: »
    Based on the tests I've finished, what are the similarities and differences between the MS/CompTIA test formats and the CCNA one?

I've taken A+ and Net+, and the Cisco exams are a whole different ball game. You can go to their website and they have a practice exam that lets you experience the question types. Highly recommended.
    Obviously there will be multiple choice and drag and drop which should be about the same.
    Odom mentioned testlets that have a scenario then a few multiple choice questions. Are they still being used?
    And how do the sims work? Do they ask like, "How do you get into Privileged Mode"? And you type "Enable" after the blinking cursor?
    I think I heard about a type of question where you have to use all the show commands to find out what's good/bad/indifferent on router/switch and answer something about that. Is that still being used as well?
    Refer to above.

I'll be sitting for the ICND1 this Saturday, and have taken the Boson Exsim-Max practice exams which are supposed to replicate the Cisco exams. They're pretty rough if you're not prepared (I would assume, a number of people on here have passed without practice tests, but I'd assume they've all gone to Cisco's site to see how the questions are set up via their exam simulation). Having been able to take the 3 practice tests, it's helped prepare me for the question types so I feel much less nervous about getting hit with a Sim saying "something is wrong, you can't ping x, y and z. Fix it".

If you do opt to grab the Exsim-Max, make sure you register an account with Boson through your ICND1 Cisco Press book CD. After you register and you log in to the Boson site you'll see a list of discounted tests, and registering that CD will give you $20 off the purchase of the Exsim-Max if you go that route. Plus they have a pass guarantee with the Exsim-Max, you can read about it on their site.
    There's no calculator available like on the MS tests?

LOL. Absolutely not. You do it in your head or on the whiteboard they give you. You'll need to subnet reliably in about 10 seconds.

subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online is your friend
    How many questions and how much time? Any ideas?
    How many questions and how much time? Any ideas?

90 Minutes to take the exam.

Edit: Whoops - 40-50 questions (Can't imagine needing 90 minutes after doing 65-66 on Boson's exsim in an hour).

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-822.html
    SdotLow wrote: »
    90 Minutes to take the exam.

Edit: Whoops - 40-50 questions (Can't imagine needing 90 minutes after doing 65-66 on Boson's exsim in an hour).

640-822 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

I'm not taking the 2 test course. I'm taking the 640-802. But I found it thru your link. Still 90 Minutes (45-55 questions). Thank you Sir.
    640-802 CCNA - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems
  • andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Whatever you want to know about the CCNA test go on Cisco site,you just need to be well prepared to pass the test.