Options

Should I buy more hardware for my lab?

lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys,

sorry to come up with a Lab question again but after receiving very valuable input last time I will try once more icon_smile.gif

Here is what I currently have in my lab:
2x 2970G
2x 2501
2x 2503
1x 2514

I am now about 70% trough my studies for SWITCH, I think. I have been working with switches over the past years so most concepts aren't new to me and I have configured things like VTP, HSRP etc in live networks. The 2970Gs sure aren't perfect for preparation but I think I might be fine with them for the switch exam.

I was looking at getting two 3550s (roughly $400 for a pair) or even a 3650 (cheapest seems to start at $350 in .de) but are they really necessary? Will they add any learning value to my lab?

Since I am not a real network guy (I deal with Linux 90% of my time) I don't see myself going for the CCIE any time soon. I would probably take the CCDP exams once it's recertification time or CCNP:Security but I don't think I would need the 35x0 for either.

What do you think? I appreciate your comments :)
Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
Goal for 2014: RHCA
Goal for 2015: CCDP

Comments

• Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I say add at least 1 3550, you can drop the 2500 series routers and move all your lab configs to GNS3.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have 4 routers, the rest can probably be done with GNS3

Real equipment is more reliable if you can afford it, but GNS3 will do if you allow the extra study time to learn GNS3 and its quirks. Run GNS3 on fast boxes and stable IOS versions or it will be slow and/or crash.

I used 3 3550's for BCMSN, at least 2 would be good for SWITCH.

Good luck with your studies
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OK, I guess I'll try to get two 3550 off eBay when the price is right :)

As soon as I have them I will sell my 2970Gs and get back the money I spent.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP