Options

Local ISSA Meeting Question...

SecuSecu Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I went to my first local ISSA meeting today the speaker was alright and found the topic intresting. I am just starting to enter the security field and kinda felt out of place with all the heavy hitters around. Planning on becoming a member and going to some more meeting. Wondering if maybe theres a better group for like more noobish individuals. Also seemed like alot of the attendants where there to get CE credits, is that the main reason for the meetings.

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can join cheaply if you are a student. Like you said I think many people are there for CPEs.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    I'm a member of ISSA in Orange County, CA (that's where Disneyland is).

ISSA is a professional organization used by IT security people for networking, finding work and volunteer opportunities, attending training provided by the local chapter, and talking with IT security vendors who sell stuff (McAfee, Symantec, Tipping Point, WebSense, etc.).

You will get out of ISSA what you put into it. If you attend the meetings only to hear the speakers, eat the buffet lunch, and claim your two CPEs, you are wasting your money and doing yourself a disservice. Talk with people at the meetings, get to know names and faces, let them know who you are and what you do, and make friends. People like to hire their friends.