Options

Just offered my first IT job(s)!

ck86ck86 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Today I had my first interview after looking for jobs the past couple of months. I originally applied for a field tech position with this company that would basically be 6 months of going to different hospitals installing a system to monitor temperature where they keep vaccinations. After 6 months of that I'd fall into an IT role there at the company.

The interview went very well, and they (3 from the IT department) seemed impressed with me. I was told they had the field tech opening as well as a Jr. Windows System Admin role open and basically offered me my choice of the two jobs. I'm more than happy with either job and really had no preference... there seem to be upsides to both positions. The field tech job would maybe earn me a little more money (they offer $.50 per mile traveled to techs), but not having to travel and stay at the HQ (only 3 miles from my apartment) and getting more server experience seems appealing too. The boss had to leave near the end of the interview to deal with some issues with the CIO, so we were kind of cut off early. The other two guys told me he should be calling me soon to ask which position I want, salary, and give me a start date.

I'm interested to see what those with experience in the field would suggest. Should I take advantage of the system admin job being open (may not be open when I finish the 6 month contract) or go with the field tech job? What salary should I ask for?

All in all very happy about today. Didn't expect things to go so well considering I have zero certifications and my military IT experience wasn't all that impressive. They said they could tell I had the passion for IT and seemed like a great people person.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Options
    kenookenoo Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jr sys admin all the way
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go for the Jr. System Admin position. I think this has way more potential.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new job!! icon_thumright.gif

Jr. Systems Administrator position is my vote
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    I'd go with the field tech position. I started in IT around 1995 in the military and that experience was good gettng hands on exposure to satellites and cabling, etc. I then later got my first civilian job working as a NOC Engineer managing SONET rings, ATM, Frame Relay and MPLS switches and circuits. I was basically doing heavy layer 1 and 2 troubleshooting. I stayed on this job for about 7 years. I thought I knew alot and was pretty knowledgeable. I left that job and became a field engineer at a consulting/engineering firm. In 1 year as a field tech I gained more knowledge than in 12 years of "IT". In my opinion you can't replace field knowledge. I sit in on interviews occassionally and finding someone that has hands on experience with routers, switches, disaster recovery, VoIP, storage, wrieless etc is a rarity. If the field tech position gives you the ability to broaden your skill set I'd say go with it.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Take the admin position.

.50/mile is ok but the wear and tear on your vehicle isnt worth it. Youre only 3 miles away? Id bike to work unless the weather was bad or had errands to run afterwards.
  • Options
    kingslayerkingslayer Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sysadmin 100% will gain more experience field tech you will spend a lot of time travelling not much time actually working and gaining exp.

Congrats on the job, pretty soon you'll wish you picked another career :D
    2011 Goals: 70-433 | 70-432
  • Options
    You'll have to factor in the driving I suppose. Working in the field does have some perks, you may be able to work from home some days and have more flexible hours. If you'll be making more Texa$ as a field tech, then maybe you can afford a German car ;P A Merc or an Audi can flip 200K miles with no problem .... ;P
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    I'm leaning more toward the jr sys admin role for a couple of reasons. The field experience would be nice, but it's specifically dealing with something I doubt I'd find a job doing again. That, and my V8 mustang really isn't too gas friendly. I'm going to inform them I'd prefer the jr sys admin role.

What salary should I be aiming for?
  • Options
    I have no idea ... I guess it depends on your area. If you're in NJ/NY I'd ask for $60-70K as its a Jr. Admin role. The Jr Sys Admin role, may allow you a lot of study time. Either decision is a good one. The ability to work in the field you have a passion for is a blessing within itself. Best of luck, man.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sieff wrote: »
    I'd go with the field tech position. I started in IT around 1995 in the military and that experience was good gettng hands on exposure to satellites and cabling, etc. I then later got my first civilian job working as a NOC Engineer managing SONET rings, ATM, Frame Relay and MPLS switches and circuits. I was basically doing heavy layer 1 and 2 troubleshooting. I stayed on this job for about 7 years. I thought I knew alot and was pretty knowledgeable. I left that job and became a field engineer at a consulting/engineering firm. In 1 year as a field tech I gained more knowledge than in 12 years of "IT". In my opinion you can't replace field knowledge. I sit in on interviews occassionally and finding someone that has hands on experience with routers, switches, disaster recovery, VoIP, storage, wrieless etc is a rarity. If the field tech position gives you the ability to broaden your skill set I'd say go with it.

Not exactly sure what he's going to learn installing thermometers in hospitals.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    totally overlooked field tech for hospital. hospital fied tech vs field engineer for Cisco Gold Partner ... big difference. "Jr Sys Admin all the way".
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Admin admin admin!

Seriously congratz!
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Junior admin without a doubt, man! Good for resume, experience and future all together. The other position sounds like basic learning and dead end after 6 months.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    By the way, i forgot to say, congrats on your first IT job!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Another vote for the Sys Admin position. Once you get it, learn as much as you can.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    No brainer. Admin role. Seriously.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    toshinden5toshinden5 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    have to agree with everyone, admin role is the best way to go. congrats by the way!
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the position and I say sys admin all the way! icon_cheers.gif
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man!!!

I definitely will go for the Jr. System Admin position. You will gain more experience that will be benficial to oyu in the long run
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats! jr sys admin! That's a no brainer. That's pretty sweet that you have the choice though. I would ask for around 60k.

My first job was as a field engineer for a large bank. It was a great gig, but we were handling IT needs for all of the branches, not installing thermometers. I learned a lot there (routing/switching, server install/repair, pc and printer maintenance, ATM repair/rebuild, etc).
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    Congrats on the offers! Sysadmin 100%!
  • Options
    tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    Field engineer for Cisco Partner is THE best place to go if you are a networking guy.
  • Options
    Just to update, I was called back and officially offered the job for the field tech. The HR rep told me that the IT boss received my email and thinks it's better for me to start with this position and warm up admin role when I'm in the office between the field tech jobs. The official job offer letter stated that once the field tech job was complete (6 months) that I would then begin working as a Jr. Windows Systems Administrator. So, even though I didn't get the admin job right away, I will be doing it in 6 months. icon_cheers.gif

Tomorrow morning is my first day and I'm extremely excited to get back to work. Very pleased I landed this job given the job economy in my area. They offered me a starting salary of 45k. Not a ton but seems solid given my lack of degree/certifications and no past IT experience outside of my military time.

Thank you guys for the advice. :D
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    congrats, sounds like the best of both worlds
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Congrats Man...................
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!:D