password reset

odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
OK, ive done this in the past, I know you are suppose to send a break command while booting up and I am not having any luck.

I have a 2600 I setup last night with a lab. The enable password just is not working...that will teach me not to use 'cisco'.

I've used putty and teraterm. In teraterm I used the send break, alt+b, control + break.
In putty I use alt + break, control + break, break, shift + break.

I've pushed them or held them as soon as the router boots, but it also goes to decompressing the image.

I'm using a usb dell keyboard with the standard keys. Pause\break is the upper top button.

Am I missing something?
Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action

Comments

• MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I recall, puTTY uses Ctrl + C to send a break. Not sure about teraterm, but worth a try
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    From some more searching, there are issues with some usb to serial converters and break commands. I have another laptop that has a serial port on the mobo and will try that tonight.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    I've done it through a USB adapter with no problem with TeraTerm using ALT-B.

If you're in the market for a solid USB to serial, I'd suggest IOGear. Supposed to be very good and very reliable (I haven't had a problem). A bit expensive, but when I hear the problems from using cheap ones it's worth it in my opinion.
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hooked up the 2600 to a dell laptop that has a onboard serial port and the send break command in teraterm worked perfectly.

Suppose I should upgrade the usb serial adapter.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Suppose I should upgrade the usb serial adapter.

Yup! :)icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.