Options

Recommendation Need : CCNA or CCENT path

KalabinKalabin Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking for a little guidance here. I'm debating on which path to take to eventually obtain my CCNA. I currently work in the telecommunications industry installing carrier grade equipment and get to play a little with equipment. However that also pulled me away from my studies, im now through my apprenticeship and have passed my journeyman exams and have time to devote to my own studies.

In 2009 I went to my local college and completed all four semesters of the Cisco Networking Acadamy. However, with my job I never really had the time to devote to the lab's so I ended up not taking my certification. I did fairly well and feel I understand the concepts fairly well. I do have a small home lab as well as GNS3 for practicing. My problem is my current job has me working 10+ hours a day and not able to dive deep into the lab work still. I was debating on going through the CCENT ICND1/ICND2 route as it appears to be easier to study for one exam at a time. However im not sure how difficult the actual test's are as opposed to just taking the 640-802.

I'm looking to move up in my career towards a Network Technician that works on carrier class equipment and I feel I need to prove my IP background. So for those of you that have taken the test's could you shed some light on me and guide me?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    I'd get a few different practise exams (bosun exsim etc)
    and see how you go with those.

Should let ou know how much study you need to do.

note , I haven't done icnd1 or 2 yet
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Well maybe I can provide some advice, or "light," as you request haha. I went the two exam route and just recently passed ICND2 (July). Thinking back I'm still not exactly sure why I chose the two exam route over just the single exam. An instructor I had for some Cisco classes I was in suggested taking the one exam because it would be easier then taking the two exams. His reasoning was that the one exam will have ~50 questions, while the two exams will have ~50 questions each, so he asked us what would you rather do take 100 qeustions or 50? He also claimed something along the lines that since the one exam covers the whole shebang, it won't go as in depth on the topics as the separate exams would. (This statement I cannot personally attest to having knowledge on. I have no idea the validity of that statement)

This line of thinking, for me, is flawed, and I remember being puzzled as to why he gave us this "advice." If you actually want to learn the material and not only pass, but be ready to apply the knowledge you know to an interview, or your daily work, why **** yourself?

Anywho, I did the two exam route because I realized that the CCNA covered a ton of material, and I'd rather split the exam objectives up, and focus on 1/2 at a time.

Things I used for study:

-Cisco press icnd books
    -the Sybex ccna book
    -Packet Tracer
    -CBT Nuggets
    -lots of hand written note cards for quick-hit studying.

Anyways, I think I rambled a little in this, but hopefully I shed some light to help you on your path. I was very recently in your exact spot wondering the same thing. Feel free to contact me directly for any questions you may have, take care.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    hyperrawr9000hyperrawr9000 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just did the ICND2 today and i would have to guess that the single test route would be easier simply because of time constraints. I had 43 questions and 75 min to do the whole thing. That doesnt give very much time to think about anything if you get a tough question. I ended the test with about 6 min left. (ICND1 i had 43 min left after 50 questions). With the single test covering material from both subjects I think the time limit is more forgiving.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses!

Well I have a lot of material for the ICND1/ICND2 exam, so I guess i'll study up on all of that do my CBT Nuggets and shoot for the 640-802 exam. I still have a few lab books from my cisco network acadamy class so I'll break those books out for the hands on config portion again.

Thanks again,

Jason
  • Options
    andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Yea ,if i were to do it again i will go the one exam route,though paying $250 at a time is a lot but nevertheless i still prefer the one route from my experience,if you can study very well and do some labs you will get it.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I went the 2 exam route, and I'm still glad I did. I feel like I learned each topic more thoroughly than I would have if I had studied all the info at once. I hear that time is a big factor on the 802 exam. I would take that one if I just wanted to renew, but I know my way around a router/switch/config now.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCENT/ICND2 is probably more comfortable because you are working for 10+ hours and it's difficult to allocate more time for CCNA prep. Additionally, the exam fee is more for CCNA compared to CCENT/ICND2. You can take both exams with one month gap for preparation.
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Cost to get your CCNA is the same either way ($125 each for two tests, or $250 for one). I personally already passed CCENT and am working on the second half; I would definitely suggest the two test path to most anyone at this point. It makes studying more manageable, and if you use the Odom books then you're pretty much covered (in my opinion).
  • Options
    Thanks guys I appreciate the helpful feedback.

After talking to some guys in the department I would like to get into I think I need to invest in a better home lab, mine is mostly out dated with 2500, 1900 equipment from three years ago.

I do agree i'm finding it difficult to study after working all day, my actual day consists of a 10 hour shift with two hours of drive time. I have been watching the CBT Nugget video's at night, but if I put a book to my face i'm out like a light! Oh this is going to be fun! I'm a hands on person so I think having a fully function lab where I can sniff / debug etc is going to help me more.

The cost of the test doesn't bother me much, I just want to do what's going to provide me the best learning structure.