Access server for home lab.

SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
I'm getting frustrated with these console cables all over the place and was wondering if anyone had any advice in regards to setting up an access server.

Ideal cost?
Ideal model?
Worth getting or just putting the money towards more lab gear?

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    how many devices are you connecting to?

you could look at a 2509, 2511, NM-16a or NM-32a.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Average cost is 150 bucks I think. I have the AS2511-RJ.

It supports 16 devices and uses either cables you can buy or make your own with RJ45 jacks.

The AS2509 has two octal ports. So you are looking at them you will need the octal cables, so factor that into the cost.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    keenon wrote: »
    how many devices are you connecting to?

you could look at a 2509, 2511, NM-16a or NM-32a.

After I pass my CCENT (hopefully this Saturday) I'll be picking up and extra router which will make 7 devices. I'll maybe get an additional switch if I can find a 2950 cheap somewhere.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if you have 7 devices a 2509 will fit but only if you plan on staying at 8 devices max. otherwise 2511 or an NM-16a/32a which will fit in a 26xx,36xx or 28xx (with this disclaimer on the 28xx i have heard about on bugs when using them).
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    keenon wrote: »
    if you have 7 devices a 2509 will fit but only if you plan on staying at 8 devices max. otherwise 2511 or an NM-16a/32a which will fit in a 26xx,36xx or 28xx (with this disclaimer on the 28xx i have heard about on bugs when using them).

I'd venture to guess I'd go above 8 eventually. Thanks for the tips.

Would it be wise to pick one up? I'll be honest, I have a console cable perma-plugged into every one of my devices because I've heard that constant in/out in that port can damage it. So I have a stream of console cables zip tied down my Skeletek rack and leading next to my PC. I'm worried I'll eventually roll over the cables or maybe my dog might get to them. Is it a good investment into the future, since I plan on going for my CCNP after my CCNA. Or would it be better to put it towards an additional router?

I've never used an access server, I've just seen Jeremy use it on the ICND2 CBT videos and I was amazed by it. It looks like it makes life so much easier bouncing between routers. I don't always have them set up in a way that can be telnet'd obviously.

Edit: And is there a specific DRAM / Flash I should be aiming for if I do decide to go for one?

Edit2: Wait, you mean you can set up a router to act as an access server instead of paying for an 2511? Is there a drawback to doing this? It would be much cheaper from what I'm seeing to convert a router (like a 2600xm or w/e) than to purchase an access server.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    What I'm about to suggest may seem complicated, but it's cheaper. You can run a console server in dynamips/gns3 if you are already using gns3 anyways as your primary platform.
    Also included in the INE Topologies for Dynagen is a router instance that is designated as a Terminal Server (Access Server). This instance can be used like a Cisco 2511 series router to reverse telnet to the console ports of the virtual Dynamips router instances, similar to how the Terminal Server is used in the CCIE Lab Exam.

Using Dynamips for CCIE Lab Preparation on a PC | INE
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
    I have GNS3 but don't use it. I prefer my real hardware than to use simulator/emulator.

Thanks though, I'll keep that in mind.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    i used a 16 port digi box connected to the network, it allowed me to hook up 16 devices at once
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Could you give a make and model for this "digi" box? How much could we expect to pay? (just curious)
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • ZachBZachB Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Average cost is 150 bucks I think. I have the AS2511-RJ.

It supports 16 devices and uses either cables you can buy or make your own with RJ45 jacks.

The AS2509 has two octal ports. So you are looking at them you will need the octal cables, so factor that into the cost.

How do you like that 2511? I'm going to be purchasing one in the next week or so.
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I love the 2511. Mine came with the cables for it as well. I got tired of moving my console cable all over the place, and got to the point the plastic clip was going to break off. So I pony up the money a few weeks after getting my lab together for it.

I plan on doing CCNP so it will pay for itself.

It also nice because I remote in from home to my pc and can run commnads while at work.

I can now keep up with the training videos without pausing the video. I can do the setup just as quick as the trainer.

You can also use the AUI transceiver and set it up with a IP address. I sometimes telnet into it from downstairs.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • ZachBZachB Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I love the 2511. Mine came with the cables for it as well. I got tired of moving my console cable all over the place, and got to the point the plastic clip was going to break off. So I pony up the money a few weeks after getting my lab together for it.

I plan on doing CCNP so it will pay for itself.

It also nice because I remote in from home to my pc and can run commnads while at work.

I can now keep up with the training videos without pausing the video. I can do the setup just as quick as the trainer.

You can also use the AUI transceiver and set it up with a IP address. I sometimes telnet into it from downstairs.

Very cool. Thanks for the input. I'm in the process of setting up my lab for CCNA; plan to complete the CCNP within the next year or so if all goes well. I can see this easily paying for itself so it's worth the extra expense IMO.
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a 2511-RJ

Great AS if you can make your own cables as it gives you a lot of flexibility