Options

routers and broadcast packets

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,
I have learnt that layer 3 devices such as routers cannot forward on broadcasts(by default) but they can send out broadcast arps when wanting to know the mac of the next hop router.
But i want to know is it the same the other way around?
for example i logged into my router via console port and then pinged a dns server at ip 192.168.3.35(which is connected up to a switch which in turn is connected to the router i mentioned). Now the router didn't know the mac address of the dns server before i pinged 192.168.3.35. So did the router send out a broadcast arp asking "who is 0090.0CE2.A2D1?"
The dns server replies back in a uni cast frame and says "thats me here's my MAC". The router caches this (as i saw when i typed arp). The router then is able to use the mac of the dns server when it constructs the packet and uses the souce mac as its own. Am i right so far?
the router then sends it to 192.168.3.35 but does it pass by the switch? and if it does does the switch then look at it and alter the source mac addresses also?

i hope i am making sense.
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You got it down. The switch doesn't change the source address though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    This is based off the following topology, correct?

HOSTA <
    > (FA 0/0) ROUTERA (FA 0/1)<
    > DNS SERVER

Router's shouldn't be using ARP out of an serial interface to my knowledge.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I got a link that can reinforce your understanding. You can actually run a simulation of how ARP works by running the Ping. Check this out.

Just make sure you use Wireshark heavily when dealing with understanding how framing works on the LAN side. I find it to be very helpful. You may want to examine the ARP frame.
  • Options
    You got it down. The switch doesn't change the source address though.

thanks, but you said the switch doesn't change the source address(i assume you mean the MAC). Why is this?
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    I got a link that can reinforce your understanding. You can actually run a simulation of how ARP works by running the Ping. Check this out.

Just make sure you use Wireshark heavily when dealing with understanding how framing works on the LAN side. I find it to be very helpful. You may want to examine the ARP frame.

thats an awesome simulation and yes it does help clarify.Thanks!
  • Options
    SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    MrXpert wrote: »
    thanks, but you said the switch doesn't change the source address(i assume you mean the MAC). Why is this?

Switches don't change/alter mac addresses. They Flood / Filter / Forward them.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    MrXpert wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have learnt that layer 3 devices such as routers cannot forward on broadcasts(by default) but they can send out broadcast arps when wanting to know the mac of the next hop router.
    But i want to know is it the same the other way around?
    for example i logged into my router via console port and then pinged a dns server at ip 192.168.3.35(which is connected up to a switch which in turn is connected to the router i mentioned). Now the router didn't know the mac address of the dns server before i pinged 192.168.3.35. So did the router send out a broadcast arp asking "who is 0090.0CE2.A2D1?"
    The dns server replies back in a uni cast frame and says "thats me here's my MAC". The router caches this (as i saw when i typed arp). The router then is able to use the mac of the dns server when it constructs the packet and uses the souce mac as its own. Am i right so far?
    the router then sends it to 192.168.3.35 but does it pass by the switch? and if it does does the switch then look at it and alter the source mac addresses also?

i hope i am making sense.

Router asks who is 192.168.3.35, not the MAC of the DNS. ARP resolves IP to MAC.

The switch doesn't alter any information of the frame, it just forwards it on.