Options

Frame Relay question

solnsusiesolnsusie Member Posts: 128
hi to all
i have a basic question which i didnt see in any of my books, and i didnt have the time to test if its working, my quesion is, if i have lets say 3 remote offices, one in NY, one in NJ and one in CA, could 2 offices use the same subnet range? lets say NY office is using network 192.168.1.0/24, cna the NJ office use the same network? if yes how could a host in NY reach a host in NJ?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You aren't going to want to use the same LAN subnet at more than one site. You can get passed it with NAT, but its best to avoid.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Why will you want to use the same subnet address at 2 different LANs,i think there will be an overlap of addresses btw the 2 LANs,is not advisable you do that.
  • Options
    You aren't going to want to use the same LAN subnet at more than one site. You can get passed it with NAT, but its best to avoid.
    thanks,
    so if im using the same network and using it with NAT, lets say that NY and NJ are using the same network numbers, how could a host in CA telnet a host in NY if it has the same IP addres like a host in NJ? (could be that my question is a result of Packet Tracer, so there is no outside global address)
  • Options
    andy4tech wrote: »
    Why will you want to use the same subnet address at 2 different LANs,i think there will be an overlap of addresses btw the 2 LANs,is not advisable you do that.
    its 2 diffrent offices, they just using for some reason a connection with the other offices, its like lets say Microsoft should have a office in NY and in CA, would they have to negotiate the ip address ranges? i dont think so! both of them will use the ranges of lats say 192.168.1.0/24, so how will the host in CA reach 192.168.1.1 in NY???
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    solnsusie wrote: »
    thanks,
    so if im using the same network and using it with NAT, lets say that NY and NJ are using the same network numbers, how could a host in CA telnet a host in NY if it has the same IP addres like a host in NJ? (could be that my question is a result of Packet Tracer, so there is no outside global address)

The whole purpose of the NAT would be to ensure that these 2 networks look like different networks to the outside world - so the user in CA would telnet to the inside global address of the NJ host

To reinforce what others have said; you just wouldn't do this unless it was an intermediate solution in the event of say 2 companies merging and they happen to use the same private address space.
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    Chris_ wrote: »
    The whole purpose of the NAT would be to ensure that these 2 networks look like different networks to the outside world - so the user in CA would telnet to the inside global address of the NJ host QUOTE]
    thanks a lot