Options

subnetting

charunandacharunanda Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
dear sirs,
I am new to networking. now i am doing my ccna. i have a doubt regarding subnetting. my doubt is "why do we need subnetting? why cant we communicate with two pc's at different networks/subnetworks (i.e. one in 192.168.2.1 and the other in 192.168.3.1). at the same time we can communicate if the two computers are on the same network." for this communication we need routers. but my question is why? i havent got a best answer yet. so dear sirs please give me an answer which will erase my doubt.
thanking you in advance.

with regards and respect

charu:)

Comments

• Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    The main reason is to break up broadcast domains. If you had one big network you would have all of the machines in one network and you would get severe performance hits from all of the broadcasts. Routers separate networks and keep the broadcast domains smaller so there is not as large of a traffic issue - this is due to the fact that routers do not route broadcast traffic.
  • Options
    andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    You need to try to understand what subnetting really is,well as per my own definition subnetting is a way breaking down a larger network into a smaller ones.Also as per the other question, computer on two different networks will not communicate unless there is a router between them ,routers are used to stop broadcast and to route information from one network to the other.
  • Options
    thanks sir. i know subnetting is user for breaking down large network into small manageable subnetworks. to reduce the collision domin and improve trafficking between the network. but my doubt remains why we cant communicate between the two specific hosts in different networks(for example one in class b and one in class c, or like) without using routers?
  • Options
    thanks sir. i know subnetting is user for breaking down large network into small manageable subnetworks. to reduce the collision domin and improve trafficking between the network. but my doubt remains why we cant communicate between the two specific hosts in different networks(for example one in class b and one in class c, or like) without using routers?
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    charunanda wrote: »

What?! You got me baffled. I guess "broadcast" is not a good enough answer for you. If you really want to do us including yourself a favor, then please don't bother asking. Because what you are asking is damn-near impossible. If you really want to know the answer, then you would have to read RFCs and conduct an experiment to determine why your hypothesis can't work.

By the way, we can say your solution will work without a "router", but you would need a layer-3 switch. However, we know it's technically a router with switching functionality.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745

You can't, because the devices can't *see* each other on their own, as the point of addressing is to identify which networks hosts are on. Now, you can introduce some things to the equation, so that they can be *forced* to *see* each other, but on their own, this doesn't really happen.

One of the best ways to illustrate this, is if you look over what I post below, and then try the exercises that I post below it, to gain a little exposure/depth.

Look at what happens, when I send a "broadcast" to the other host. It will attempt to reply, BUT IT CANNOT FIND ME, as it doesn't have a way to get to my network.

Network diagram:
    <[[[r5]]][intf0/0][192.168.6.1/24]>====<[192.168.7.1/24][intf1/0][[[r6]]]>

r5#sh ip int brief
    Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status               Protocol
    FastEthernet0/0            192.168.6.1     YES manual up                    up
    FastEthernet1/0            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
    FastEthernet2/0            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down                                                          
    r5#debug ip packet
    IP packet debugging is on
    r5#ping
    Protocol [ip]:
    Target IP address: 255.255.255.255
    Repeat count [5]: 1
    Datagram size [100]:
    Timeout in seconds [2]:
    Extended commands [n]:
    Sweep range of sizes [n]:
    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 1, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 255.255.255.255, timeout is 2 seconds:

*Mar  1 00:42:16.719: IP: s=192.168.6.1 (local), d=255.255.255.255 (FastEthernet0/0), len 100, sending broad/multicast.
    r5#

r6#sh ip int brief
    Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
    FastEthernet0/0            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
    FastEthernet1/0            192.168.7.1     YES manual up                    up
    FastEthernet2/0            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
    FastEthernet3/0            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down
    r6#debug ip packet
    IP packet debugging is on
    r6#
    *Mar  1 00:42:10.155: IP: s=192.168.6.1 (FastEthernet1/0), d=255.255.255.255, len 100, rcvd 2
    *Mar  1 00:42:10.159: ICMP: echo reply sent, src 192.168.7.1, dst 192.168.6.1
    *Mar  1 00:42:10.163: IP: s=192.168.7.1 (local), d=192.168.6.1, len 100, unroutable

The following are some things you can attempt, to play with this a bit more, and gives you learning opportunity to explore the RIB, versus the FIB, and see how you can make the router give you a response.

1. turn off cef, then ping
    2. turn on static routes, then ping
    3. turn on cef, then ping
    4. turn off static routes (leaving cef on) then ping
    5. toggle cef/routing on one host or the other, in different combinations, and see the results.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Let me give it a shot. I'll use the United States Postal Service example based on the one that Wendell Odom uses in his book. Zip codes are specific to an area. One postal office knows everything within the zip code it serves, but knows nothing about other zip codes. In order to send letters or parcels to other zip codes they have to route them through something that knows about other zip codes. In this case it would be a mail sorting facility who is aware of other zip codes. Without this, the local postal office would only be able to deliver mail to your local community.

Going back to the IT world, by definition networks are isolated and selfish; they only talk to themselves. The router knows general information about about other isolated and contained networks that wouldn't talk to each other by themselves. He is responsible for acting as a gateway between those networks.

It would be like you speaking German and me speaking Spanish exclusively. No matter what we do we will never be able to understand what each other is saying. We would need to route our communication through an interpreter to have our messages delivered and understood.
  • Options
    Oh wait, I should have given a shorter answer.

You need routers to get between networks, as that is what the function of routers is.

Also, read this document. Where they say "gateway" just insert the term "router"

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc791.txt

The term gateway actually can mean other than a router, but in the link given, it's clearly referring to a router function.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    instant000 wrote: »
    Oh wait, I should have given a shorter answer.

Good idea.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Good idea.

You can lead a horse to water, LOL.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    instant000 wrote: »
    You can lead a horse to water, LOL.

That was more simpler than the post you posted earlier. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    thank you sirs for your kind and insightful replies. this one doubt was there for a long time in my mind and i asked the tutor about this. but his reply was not convincing me. so i was in search of a platform where i can find a convincing reply. today i got it from you. once again thanks for everyone.
  • Options
    thank you sirs for your kind and insightful replies. this one doubt was there for a long time in my mind and i asked the tutor about this. but his reply was not convincing me. so i was in search of a platform where i can find a convincing reply. today i got it from you. once again thanks for everyone.

ASP, Another satisfied poster!