Options

Leaving with 1 week notice?

xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
Do you think it's acceptable to leave on less than 2 weeks notice when you've only been with a company for a short time?

Back story: I left a job in June to pursue a higher position with better pay. I've been there for almost 10 weeks now. There was some shuffling at my old company, and now I've agreed to return as supervisor over my old position. When we talked about a start date, they said the sooner the better. I'd really like to break the news to my current boss tomorrow and just finish out the week.

So, 10 weeks into a new job, is it acceptable to leave with only 1 week notice?

(One fact that weighs heavily on my mind is that I don't plan on listing this short stint on my resume. It would do more harm than good anyway. I'm also part of a large team and my leaving wouldn't have a significant impact on the workload.)
CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V

Comments

• Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    In your case, I don't think 10 weeks would probably be enough time to have become involved too heavily into their operations that your departure will have much of an impact. If you had been with them much longer I would say it would be proper to give them two weeks notice.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I went through a similar circumstance about 6 months ago. I was able to give a 2 week notice, however, I was asked to be there sooner.

I think that it is something you should discuss with your current supervisor.

There is one thing that you should consider: If your new employer wants you to break the standard 2 week notice, what other things may they also ask for you to do against the norm? A two week notice is standard etiquette. I think that if they want you there in less than two weeks, I would want some other form of compensation. Either increased pay, sign on bonus, or a contract saying that you will not be let go in less than 2 years. Or possibly so many weeks of paid boot camp style training within your first year.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    swild wrote: »
    I went through a similar circumstance about 6 months ago. I was able to give a 2 week notice, however, I was asked to be there sooner.

I think that it is something you should discuss with your current supervisor.

There is one thing that you should consider: If your new employer wants you to break the standard 2 week notice, what other things may they also ask for you to do against the norm? A two week notice is standard etiquette. I think that if they want you there in less than two weeks, I would want some other form of compensation. Either increased pay, sign on bonus, or a contract saying that you will not be let go in less than 2 years. Or possibly so many weeks of paid boot camp style training within your first year.

His old employer said "the sooner the better", they didn't tell him to leave his position right now. The OP is the one who wants to leave within a week. To be honest, I usually gives 2 weeks as a courtesy, but I don't really care if that's enough time or not. If your employer were to fire you, do you think they'll give you 2 weeks notice?

Never understood that concept. If they don't need to give us 2 weeks notice when they fire us, why do we need to give them notice when we "fire" them?! :)
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    pham0329 wrote: »
    If your employer were to fire you, do you think they'll give you 2 weeks notice?

I'm working as a DoD contractor, so the environment can be volitile at times. Especially working in a position with a clearance, I'm sure terminations are swift. The more I think about it the less guilty I feel. I have a good relationship with my new boss/team, but I really don't think anyone is going to hurt if I only put in 1 more week.

I guess the better question to ask myself is why SHOULD I give 2 weeks notice? I'm not listing them on my resume and I don't need the reference, so I don't have a good answer to that one.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it doesn't make a difference. I would probably just break the news and go.icon_profileright.gif
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    baseball1988baseball1988 Member Posts: 119
    1 week of notice is kind of short. You probably won't be able to get a reference because your employment with the company is short but don't look back and move forward. Remove the job / company off your resume because it will raise red flags whenever you apply to other jobs.

2 weeks is the standard these days.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    pham0329 wrote: »
    If they don't need to give us 2 weeks notice when they fire us, why do we need to give them notice when we "fire" them?! :)

If you get fired, you generally did something to deserve it. If you get laid off, you are usually given notice. I got laid off and was given a 12 week notice. Now I do think that is a little excessive, but the gesture is appreciated. It gives time for you to find something else to do. A two week notice is a courtesy. I don't double park, or park in handicapped spaces. I don't steal from my employer. I get to work on time, or call ahead of time if I will be late. I dress professionally. I don't leave food in the fridge for more than a week. I don't leave a mess for other people to clean up. I don't litter.

Its a simple courtesy. Since you haven't been there every long, it is actually more important to give notice. A company doesn't hire you, train you, and then expect you to leave so soon. Even if you have the skills to do the job, you still have to be introduced to the environment, given an ID, user accts, ect. All that costs the company money. I really think if you do not want to give a two week notice, you may as well just not show up.