Options

Weird feeling at work

I worked for about a year so far and realized that help desk isn't what I want to do. General promotion starts from Technical Analyst to Senior Technical Analyst to Technical Lead. These are only minor title changes but responsibilities are 80% identical. The issue is there isn't a variety of different career paths to chose from at this office.

When I started the job, I was really motivated and excited for everything. But, as time goes by, everything is getting boring plus I'm less motivated. The boss noticed my lack of motivation and initiative already. And I, myself, already know that I don't want just 'title change'.

Does it mean I should start looking for a new job? I don't want this problem to negatively impact the references I get.

Comments

• Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your losing motivation, it might be time to look elsewhere. If you do decide to leave, make sure your hired at that place you chosen. For instance, make sure that you signed employment papers and that the company is financially stable, at least somewhat.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Never let a lack of advancement opportunity allow you to slack off in your current position. You should be giving your all regardless of your current responsibilities. If you show that kind of attitude at work, and there really isn't much opportunity for growth in that company, no supervisor would ever fault you for moving somewhere else to find it. They know that young, hardworking, ambitions IT guys aren't going to stick around long if there isn't a future to keep them there.

Is there no Desktop Support type of team there? That's usually the natural progression after Help Desk. You want a role that's going to put you in the day to day hands on PC work. What kind of helpdesk/company do you work for?
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    baseball1988baseball1988 Member Posts: 119
    Concerned Water: Thanks for the tips. I will try to get an offer first then resign.
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Never let a lack of advancement opportunity allow you to slack off in your current position. You should be giving your all regardless of your current responsibilities. If you show that kind of attitude at work, and there really isn't much opportunity for growth in that company, no supervisor would ever fault you for moving somewhere else to find it. They know that young, hardworking, ambitions IT guys aren't going to stick around long if there isn't a future to keep them there.

Is there no Desktop Support type of team there? That's usually the natural progression after Help Desk. You want a role that's going to put you in the day to day hands on PC work. What kind of helpdesk/company do you work for?

I know there isn't many advancement opportunity but I still do my work. I don't ask a lot of questions anymore compared to when I first started. I am a career-oriented type of person and I don't see a future here.

Desktop support/Network support team is very small and they acquire people from outside the company instead of promoting within. Basically, Technical Analyst -> Senior Technical Analyst -> Technical Lead (takes up to 3-4 years) and it's not helpful toward reaching my career goal. We are doing product support and knowledge isn't transferable to other organizations. Knowledge will stay with the company if you stay. If you leave, knowledge can't be used elsewhere because the industry we work in is very narrow. We can still gain customer service/help desk software experience but that's everything.
  • Options
    any further advice
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you talked with your supervisor about this?
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't want this problem to negatively impact the references I get.

Be honest and diplomatic with your boss. Maybe he can work out a career path internally for you. If there is no internal career path, see if the company will help foot the bills for exams so you can sharpen your skills and then look else where. Make the most out of the resources your company has to offer. A few years of Help Desk coupled with some MCITP track exams might be able to land you a junior admin position elsewhere.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Never let a lack of advancement opportunity allow you to slack off in your current position. You should be giving your all regardless of your current responsibilities.

+1. This is very bad. We've touched on this on several threads. You were hired to do a set of tasks and there are expectations. The fact that your boss noticed your lack of motivation just puts you in a bad spot if you are planning on using him as a reference. If you are unhappy for any reason you should not let that affect your performance. As MrRyte mentioned, step one would be talking to your manager. If nothing can be done, then it is time to move on.

I went through the same situation early this year. i talked, no one listened so I left. No one saw it coming as performance was never affected.
  • Options
    First of all, thank you for your suggestions and tips.

MrRyte wrote: »
    Have you talked with your supervisor about this?

I didn't speak to my supervisor because secrets can't be kept. Telling my supervisor is almost like telling everyone in the department. Often, news spread very rapidly that can cause further issues. Can't trust anyone except the boss.
    rsutton wrote: »
    Be honest and diplomatic with your boss. Maybe he can work out a career path internally for you. If there is no internal career path, see if the company will help foot the bills for exams so you can sharpen your skills and then look else where. Make the most out of the resources your company has to offer. A few years of Help Desk coupled with some MCITP track exams might be able to land you a junior admin position elsewhere.

I might discuss this with my boss. However, I am 100% sure that there isn't any career paths for me. It's a help desk environment with about 20 colleagues. Everyone is fighting to move to another department. Very few opportunities available. I spent a lot of time learning how others get promoted. Takes at least 3-4 years for each individual to move to another department. The ones who stay long will get promoted and 80% of the time, people leave to pursue their dreams and there is a high turnover. Every 6-7 months someone will resign. Company also doesn't pay for education. Health benefits does not cover 100%.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    +1. This is very bad. We've touched on this on several threads. You were hired to do a set of tasks and there are expectations. The fact that your boss noticed your lack of motivation just puts you in a bad spot if you are planning on using him as a reference. If you are unhappy for any reason you should not let that affect your performance. As MrRyte mentioned, step one would be talking to your manager. If nothing can be done, then it is time to move on.

I went through the same situation early this year. i talked, no one listened so I left. No one saw it coming as performance was never affected.

Thank you for the reminder. I work hard but sometimes it's difficult to "pretend" that you enjoy the work and the boss can tell. I won't be using my current boss as my reference. I will be using my ex-boss for references for my next position...and have my current boss as a reference for the future.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I worked for about a year so far and realized that help desk isn't what I want to do. General promotion starts from Technical Analyst to Senior Technical Analyst to Technical Lead. These are only minor title changes but responsibilities are 80% identical. The issue is there isn't a variety of different career paths to chose from at this office.

When I started the job, I was really motivated and excited for everything. But, as time goes by, everything is getting boring plus I'm less motivated. The boss noticed my lack of motivation and initiative already. And I, myself, already know that I don't want just 'title change'.

Does it mean I should start looking for a new job? I don't want this problem to negatively impact the references I get.

From the sounds of things you are a pleasant young man who has outgrown the position, and now finds that there are few vertical opportunities within the company of interest to you. This is quite normal and it's time to plan your exit gracefully to sunny new uplands..

What I suggest you do is put a CV together and start hunting down work opportunies online in the evening after work. Meanwhile please be a bit more positive about your work. There is nothing worse than coming into a new job on the back of one that has got old and stale. You need to energise yourself a bit so you are on top form when you start a new job. For that you need a new attitude at work in the job you already have. This is one of those things almost absolutely every post I have seen on TE about job changes nearly always misses.

When you start a new job and as you get to know new people any issues or problems you had with the last one can come over badly in conversation. It's good to detox while you are still in the old job and get the positivity going *before* you leave. Avoids a hangover in the new gig. A clean break and you hit the ground running.

Knowing you are seeking a move elsewhere can take the pressure off a little and you start to enjoy the work for what it is. Don't discuss this with anyone you work with. You are looking at 3-6 months to turn something around in the new job stakes if you really apply yourself. For that seek guidance in the forums.
  • Options
    Turgon, thank you for taking your time to provide excellent tips. Very appreciate your time and opinions.

Today, I logged onto linkedin and found an article:

Want To Keep (And Motivate) Your Best Employees? It's Not About The Money | Fast Company

I'm in a similar situation. It's not about the money. It's about the career path/growth. That's a good article.