Options

Why do you want to leave your current job?

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
I am having issues coming up with an answer.

Real reason: takes too long to grow within the company to get the position I want (3.5 yrs) and I'm not really enjoying technical support.

Will it be ok to say "i set career goals that i can't achieve at my current company" or "i'm looking for a new opportunity in software testing instead of tech support route?." I'm afraid that they will fire back and go against my answer. These opportunities exist in my current company but very limited. Thus, it takes 4 yrs which is lengthy service.

advice as to what to say?

Note: i want to move from help desk to software testing/qa side.

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    don't ever wait for others to make the opportunities you want available. you can tactfully make them aware of your desire to progress quicker. if they dont bite hit the road and dont look back.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    don't ever wait for others to make the opportunities you want available. you can tactfully make them aware of your desire to progress quicker. if they dont bite hit the road and dont look back.

Thanks. This is why I am finding a career at other companies instead of having my current company control my career path. Even if I tell my current employer my interest, it will still take at least 3.5 years to get there.
  • Options
    MC85MC85 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I could use some advice on this too.

Currently I work on a helpdesk (part time, usually 30-39 hrs a week) and the reason I give is that I'm looking for full-time opportunities.

While that's sort of true, the real reason is that I want to make more money and the company I work at isn't giving out raises at all currently (wage freeze for the last two years).
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    laptop wrote: »
    I'm afraid that they will fire back and go against my answer....
    They shouldn't "fire back"; they should at least be willing to help you if they value you enough. But if they do shoot down your request; then you don't need to be working for them anyway.icon_wink.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    laptop wrote: »
    I am having issues coming up with an answer.

Real reason: takes too long to grow within the company to get the position I want (3.5 yrs) and I'm not really enjoying technical support.

Will it be ok to say "i set career goals that i can't achieve at my current company" or "i'm looking for a new opportunity in software testing instead of tech support route?." I'm afraid that they will fire back and go against my answer. These opportunities exist in my current company but very limited. Thus, it takes 4 yrs which is lengthy service.

advice as to what to say?

Note: i want to move from help desk to software testing/qa side.

If you want to do software testing/qa side consider approaching any company that develops trading applications for the financial sector. Some good careers there.

Your reason for looking elsewhere is you have outgrown your current role and the opportunities for advancement are few and far between because of the size of the operation. You are ready for a new opportunity and a new challenge.
  • Options
    andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Try your current job for the opening,i don't see any crime in applying for any change within a company but if it is not possible,i think is high time for you to look for a better opening outside that can advance your career.You need to move up in your career.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    If you want to do software testing/qa side consider approaching any company that develops trading applications for the financial sector. Some good careers there.

Your reason for looking elsewhere is you have outgrown your current role and the opportunities for advancement are few and far between because of the size of the operation. You are ready for a new opportunity and a new challenge.

I second this, I started out in Help Desk and moved in to QA for a company that developed trading software. While it did not end up being what I wanted to do, the experience was great and there was potential to move up had I wanted to.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have told every manager that I have ever worked for: unless I'm being mistreated, or unless I'm bored, I won't start looking elsewhere. I've added a third reason - staying ahead of the poop hitting the fan. My last job, I got out about three weeks ahead of the announcement that the datacenter was being outsourced.

I'm almost bored, so it's time for me to start testing the waters again soon.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...