Options

Temporarily working 2 jobs.

EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
This is especially for anyone who works from home.
Have you ever worked 2 full time jobs for just a short stint? Say 3 to 6 months?

I have a good full time permanent job that I love. I get to work from home for this job. I am a multi-tasking maniac, and work is often slow to me. I’ve become very tempted to take on a second job, just temporarily. It certainly isn’t something I’d want to do for a long time, but I think I could handle it short term. My current job will always take priority, but I keep getting contacted by recruiters for short term contracts.

Today I was contacted for an Exchange 2010 migration project, which I have plenty of experience in. They said the job is 100% remote, no on-site required, expected to last 6 months. I am really tempted to take it on, and can’t think of a good reason not to as long as my main job always takes priority.

My wife is about to give birth to our 3rd child any day now, she’s actually starting her maternity leave today, so we’re down to just my income which will make money tight for a while.

If I took this contract on as a second job, I could pay off every debt we have by the end of it. With all our debts paid off, my income would be more than enough, and my wife would no longer need to work. If I don't take it, we'll be lucky if we're debt free before 2015 with my current plan.

Right now it seems like I’d be stupid not to take the opportunity if it presents itself, however I keep thinking there has to be something I am not thinking about that would make this a really bad idea.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You will likely get a lot of negative responses for this, just a warning.

I have done this myself, but not nearly as long (3 weeks). If I could do it, I would.

The term that has been coined ins "daylighting"... like the old moonlighting, but since you are working both simultaneously... you get the picture.

It is becoming more common. You never know how it will turn out. You just have to decide up front what your priorities are and stick with them.

With a baby coming, it will be all the more stressful. Good luck.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Well migrations are usually done after hours, so I don't think I would be doing both jobs at the same time.

It'd be more like working at Job 1 from say 7 to 4 then working at Job 2 from 4 to Midnight. (just as an example, I don't have those kind of details yet).

Doable because I'm working from home and can take breaks to do stuff with the family, etc. Doing it short term (just a few months) as to not get burned out, etc.
  • Options
    I should also mention, not for competitors either...

It'd be like working at Best Buy during the day, then changing clothes, and going to work at Pizza Hut in the evening.

No conflict of interest, etc.
  • Options
    andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    If you think it will not interfere with your current job,then go for it.You know yourself better,someone else can just chip in his or her own advise either positive or negative,just do what is best for you.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You say that your wife is about to give birth any day now. IMHO; this is probably the WORST time to be away from her. She'll need to recuperate and need your help more than ever. Of course if you choose to take on the extra job and spend only a few waking minutes with her every so often she'll feel neglected and that will inevitably put a major strain on your marriage. icon_cry.gif

I know that you need the extra $$$, but I recommend turning it down.
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    MrRyte wrote: »
    You say that your wife is about to give birth any day now. IMHO; this is probably the WORST time to be away from her. She'll need to recuperate and need your help more than ever. Of course if you choose to take on the extra job and spend only a few waking minutes with her every so often she'll feel neglected and that will inevitably put a major strain on your marriage. icon_cry.gif

I know that you need the extra $$$, but I recommend turning it down.

She will actually see me more. Before I started this job, we only saw each other on the weekends. I worked days, she worked evenings. I would get home, give her a hug, and she'd leave for work. That was the only time I saw her during the week.

Now that I work from home, I eat breakfast and lunch with her, and she'll come hang out while I'm working sometimes before she goes to work.

If she stays home with the kids, instead of going back to work, and I take a 2nd job in the evening, we'll have much more time together because we'll both be home all day. Then when this project ends we'll have even more time together, because I will not need to work 2 jobs, and she won't have to work either.
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Everyone wrote: »
    She will actually see me more. Before I started this job, we only saw each other on the weekends. I worked days, she worked evenings. I would get home, give her a hug, and she'd leave for work. That was the only time I saw her during the week.

And yet your wife is pregnant. You must be one hell of a hugger! :)

As long as you think you'll get enough face time with the missus and the wee ones, you might as well take it.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Two words mate - Do it.

Great experience, doesnt interrupt regular job, extra money, from home, wife's ok with it (most important). That to me is 10, 10, 10, 10, 10.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com