Options

New to Exchange - Boss wants me to get certified

snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have very little experience with Exchange. My boss wants me to take 70-236. Before I begin to study for it, I was wondering if I would be better off looking into 70-662. Most of our clients are still on 2007 but I think I'm better off to study 2010.

Comments

• Options
    silverspotsilverspot Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They are pretty similar. I would go 2010
  • Options
    garrykinggarryking Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010 are pretty similar from console point of view. But there are significant changes in the background that introduces new features like Federated sharing, DAG, Retention policies and so on. I believe these new features will continue in future Exchange versions. So better to go for Exchange 2010.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Whether you go for 2007 or 2010 also depends why your boss wants you to get certified. If he got future deployments in mind then it is worth finding out which version he wants to implement or which version he wants you to support. Maybe it is just fir the sake of Microsoft competencies, which again is version specific. If he just wants you to know Exchange getter fir the future, with no specific plans, I'd deffo go 662. Considering he asked you to take a specific one, I'd ask him maybe for the reasoning behind the 2007.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have very little experience with Exchange. My boss wants me to take 70-236. Before I begin to study for it, I was wondering if I would be better off looking into 70-662. Most of our clients are still on 2007 but I think I'm better off to study 2010.

My advice is to study the exam for the version you are currently running and supporting and also the exam for the version you are likely to migrate to in the future. Doing this will only assist you in any upgrade path you have to contribute to (or even lead!) for your company.

Exchange is a challenge for any inexperienced admin. I recall taking Exchange 5.5 as my elective for my MCSE in NT 4.0. I has little exchange experience back then. It was by far the most comprehensive exam of the six and the most challenging. It also impressed employers as so many MCSE's ducked this exam in favour of easy electives like IIS. My position was that unless I learned about mail servers I could hardly pass myself off as a true systems engineer. Messaging is complex, challenging, mission critical and not for faint hearts. Rather like Oracle clustering.

Good luck!
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I think it makes the most sense for me to go with 236 because none of clients run 2010. Right now due to the economy, our clients aren't really taking on too many projects on unless they absolutely have to. I still have some time to decide so I have plenty of pondering to do.