Options

CCNP Wireless

Computer idiotComputer idiot Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I see that the CCNP wireless track is different on all four tests - there are no overlap tests. I've browsed Cisco's site, but I'm curious for those of you familiar with both the NP and wireless as to how deep the latter delves into routing protocols, spanning tree, etc? Or is it like the voice track, where it's basically a world of its own.

Did I miss it somewhere, or is there a dedicated forum here just for CCNP wireless? I just see CCNA wireless.

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    world on its own. Wireless is an access layer technology in my opinion, no need for routing or switching protocols here. The complexities of LANs and WANs in wireless would involve the LAN Controllers and how they work in L2 or L3 mode. You have bigger concepts to deal with in wireless than routing or switching protocols.

However it is recommended you have a basic understanding of routing and switching. You cannot progress into the wireless area until you pass the regular CCNA. Then onto CCNA wireless.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    A world of its own. You need to be exposed to wlc, wcs, and etc. You have to go thru what chrisone jz said: ccna , ccna-w, ccnp-w. you might as well go thru cwna to understand it deeper.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ^^^^ this is the man with the best answers, he holds the title, the rings, and the belts icon_cheers.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    ^^^^ this is the man with the best answers, he holds the title, the rings, and the belts icon_cheers.gif
    haha thanks but nah. I have a friend at work that is a guru when it comes to wireless. This guy created our Enterprise Wireless from the scratch. He connected all the dots that even our Sr Engineer nor Network Architect cant figure out. lol He is the one that is going for CCIE-Wireless. Im going to follow his footsteps after my CCIE-RS. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    haha thanks but nah. I have a friend at work that is a guru when it comes to wireless. This guy created our Enterprise Wireless from the scratch. He connected all the dots that even our Sr Engineer nor Network Architect cant figure out. lol He is the one that is going for CCIE-Wireless. Im going to follow his footsteps after my CCIE-RS. icon_thumright.gif

Yeah, I'm impressed with your certs as well. icon_thumright.gif

So after getting your "regular" CCNP, you had to take four more tests to get the CCNP-Wireless? That's a lot of NP tests. I've seen lots of jobs asking for a CCNP, but not really so many for an NP-Wireless (or am I just missing them?) I wonder if employers really value applicants with a CCNP-Wireless without a CCNP (R&S) to go with it?

Some people want some wireless knowledge, so they get their CCNA-Wireless cert after completing their CCNA, not caring to go beyond that. Others who want to really pursue it will go after the NP-Wireless. If I decide to wholeheartedly get the NP-Wireless, is it mandatory to get the NA-Wireless first? In other words, you'd be lost in the NP-Wireless track without having the NA-Wireless cert under your belt? I understand that the more foundation the better, obviously, but when time and money are at the cracking point for me right now (I may have to file bankruptcy very soon), if I can do without it, so much the better. Not to say that I won't take it if I really need it first.

Although we do some wireless where I work, it's a very small part of the LAN, and so far I've not gotten to configure anything with it (which I hope will change soon). If I wanted to try and set up a wireless lab here at work, what would I need in order to get through the NP requirements? Any suggestions? What did you use?
  • Options
    I have the regular CCNP because I need to understand the whole picture and I dont want to be schooled when it comes to networking.
    Some people want some wireless knowledge, so they get their CCNA-Wireless cert after completing their CCNA, not caring to go beyond that. Others who want to really pursue it will go after the NP-Wireless. If I decide to wholeheartedly get the NP-Wireless, is it mandatory to get the NA-Wireless first? In other words, you'd be lost in the NP-Wireless track without having the NA-Wireless cert under your belt? I understand that the more foundation the better, obviously, but when time and money are at the cracking point for me right now (I may have to file bankruptcy very soon), if I can do without it, so much the better. Not to say that I won't take it if I really need it first.
    I would answer this question but I want you to utilize google. Other than that, if you have a question that I think its hard to find answers then I will help you.
    Although we do some wireless where I work, it's a very small part of the LAN, and so far I've not gotten to configure anything with it (which I hope will change soon). If I wanted to try and set up a wireless lab here at work, what would I need in order to get through the NP requirements? Any suggestions? What did you use?

Are you exposed to Cisco WLC, WCS and AP's?
    Look at the blueprint and you will find all your answers.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In your case, I suggest you go for CWNA or CWTS. If you are in a Cisco shop grab CWNA and CCNA:W. The CWNA material is awesome. Combine the CWNA and CWSP and you will be a force to be reconed with. If you throw a CWAP in there you will probably learn more about wireless than you ever wanted to know.
  • Options
    In your case, I suggest you go for CWNA or CWTS. If you are in a Cisco shop grab CWNA and CCNA:W. The CWNA material is awesome. Combine the CWNA and CWSP and you will be a force to be reconed with. If you throw a CWAP in there you will probably learn more about wireless than you ever wanted to know.

I've read up on some of these certs, but some clarification on how deep they go would be helpful. Like the following:

CWNA
    CWTS
    CWSP
    CWAP

How in-depth to they go in relation to each other? I think I'm already familiar withe Cisco's CCNA-Wireless and CCNP-Wireless.