Options

Starting CCNP ROUTE

PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
I got my ccna last year, got a job as a network engineer. Worked my way into the Senior Engineer role then promoted to Tier 3 Support. I figure its time for ROUTE.

I currently work heavily with ASA's, Sonicwalls, layer 3 switches, packeteers and other various tech junk.

I really love the difference between studying ROUTE after getting a year of hardcore engineer experience. My eyes were really opened this year to how much junk is out there and how much I DONT KNOW.

However, after gaining alot of experience and going back over EIGRP, OSPF, BGP from previous ROUTE studies it truly feels like night and day. The concepts are super easy, whereas last year I found it complicated.

I'm pretty excited, my company was just merged with another more profitable corp and they pay for your certs. I'm taking advantage of it, I will put ROUTE on notice very soon :)

Comments

• Options
    andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Man,i can see you've gotten a lot of experience,just lay your hands on some good study materials and hit the route test,you will surely nail it.Good luck
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    I gained a ton of experience, the other engineers (whom have all left) were lazy and really didnt push themselves. I stepped up every time, and wanted to blow my brains out most times, but I learned and came through the other side. I even took over Backup systems from the server guys.

After running 107-150 depending on the month networks within 5000+ nodes I really am starting to understand just how much I LOVE THIS industry.

One thing I do wish is that we did more routing and more Cisco based switching, I primarily only deploy HP switches since its in our current service catalog and customers love the lifetime warranty.

My end goal is to START on CCIE written this year by finishing my CCNP in the next 2 months.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck. Sounds like the experience you have gained will prove priceless too, well done!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got my ccna last year, got a job as a network engineer. Worked my way into the Senior Engineer role then promoted to Tier 3 Support. I figure its time for ROUTE.

I currently work heavily with ASA's, Sonicwalls, layer 3 switches, packeteers and other various tech junk.

I really love the difference between studying ROUTE after getting a year of hardcore engineer experience. My eyes were really opened this year to how much junk is out there and how much I DONT KNOW.

However, after gaining alot of experience and going back over EIGRP, OSPF, BGP from previous ROUTE studies it truly feels like night and day. The concepts are super easy, whereas last year I found it complicated.

I'm pretty excited, my company was just merged with another more profitable corp and they pay for your certs. I'm taking advantage of it, I will put ROUTE on notice very soon :)

Thats pretty much the same as me. ive just started up route studies and cant believe how much i know from my past year. its a great feeling.

Good luck man. hopefully i can find time to sit this bad boy in the next few months!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking