Options

CWNA vs. CCNP-Wireless

Computer idiotComputer idiot Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
How does the CWNA as a cert stack up against the CCNP-Wireless? I saw a salary survey (a dime a dozen, I know) that said in '09 someone with a CWNA earns over $90k/yr? That seems really high. Even with no experience, if those figures are true, a person should earn at least $70k/yr. I would think.

Also, the CWNA is only one test, whereas the CCNP-Wireless is four. I would think a person would learn more about wireless with the Cisco test as compared to the CWNA one?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Rule #1: Don't trust an IT salary survey
    Rule #2: You don't talk about Fight Club

I say research your area and see what's hot. My informal and non-scientific mini-test is running the cert through Indeed an other job aggregator sites. The results may be a pointer at to what may be more valuable.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    CWNA = vendor neutral and overlaps a little of CCNA-Wireless

CCNP-Wireless = Cisco concentrated

Check the blueprint to get detailed information.

Only CWNA = 90k/yr is not true
    CWNA is popular because it was the first wireless cert in the business. CCNA/CCNP-Wireless came out a lil while ago.

Just cause you have CWNA or CCNP-wireless doesnt mean you will get paid more.
    However, there is a market out there. I always get emails for deploying WLC,WCS,AP and pretty much the whole enterprise wireless.

Are you exposed to WLC, WCS, APs? How long have you been wifi field?
  • Options
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    CWNA = vendor neutral and overlaps a little of CCNA-Wireless

CCNP-Wireless = Cisco concentrated

Check the blueprint to get detailed information.

Only CWNA = 90k/yr is not true
    CWNA is popular because it was the first wireless cert in the business. CCNA/CCNP-Wireless came out a lil while ago.

Just cause you have CWNA or CCNP-wireless doesnt mean you will get paid more.
    However, there is a market out there. I always get emails for deploying WLC,WCS,AP and pretty much the whole enterprise wireless.

Are you exposed to WLC, WCS, APs? How long have you been wifi field?

I'm not really in the wifi field at all. We (i.e. the sr. engineer) install and configure some wireless within the company where I work, but I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. The opportunities seldom come along. I like voice and wireless, but I only seem to be able to work R&S with a little security thrown in, and it's about as exciting to me as shaving every morning.

What cruel irony - the two technologies I'd love to work with are the only two I don't have access to. I might be able to scrounge up some wireless equipment in order to do some lab work, but I don't know. Ultimately, I'll run into the same problem - a wireless or voice cert without practical experience is almost worthless.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    I think the CWNA/CWSP certs are complementary with the Cisco wireless certs.

And +1 to cert salary surveys being bogus statistics. A lot of people earning $80K+ have entry-level certs (A+, Security+, CCENT, MCP), and that throws off the stats. They didn't get that salary because they got those basic certs, which is what the survey implies. In fact, they may have gotten those certs after they got the big salary. Does the survey indicate that?
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I think the CWNA/CWSP certs are complementary with the Cisco wireless certs.

And +1 to cert salary surveys being bogus statistics. A lot of people earning $80K+ have entry-level certs (A+, Security+, CCENT, MCP), and that throws off the stats. They didn't get that salary because they got those basic certs, which is what the survey implies. In fact, they may have gotten those certs after they got the big salary. Does the survey indicate that?

I hear ya. I also know people with tremendous knowledge who got it on-the-job --> not through any cert. I think certs help to fill in the gaps with someone with practical knowledge. Certs with no practical experience are little better than toilet paper, especially as far as a hiring employer is concerned.

So the thing to do is - get some experience first; then get a cert. Once you have that, you'll be able to find a pretty good job. :>D But wait - you have to get a job to get experience. So get a job in the field, then you'll have the experience employers are looking for. I think I've got it figured out now.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I'm not really in the wifi field at all. We (i.e. the sr. engineer) install and configure some wireless within the company where I work, but I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. The opportunities seldom come along. I like voice and wireless, but I only seem to be able to work R&S with a little security thrown in, and it's about as exciting to me as shaving every morning.

What cruel irony - the two technologies I'd love to work with are the only two I don't have access to. I might be able to scrounge up some wireless equipment in order to do some lab work, but I don't know. Ultimately, I'll run into the same problem - a wireless or voice cert without practical experience is almost worthless.
    You can always make things happen for you. If you want it then you will make it happen.

Get the WLC book at amazon.com. Buy the following but research it first:
    WLC
    WCS
    2 AP's
    ACS
    Switch and routers

Deploy wireless at your home. If you really want some serious labbing. Go get the IPexpert CCIE-Wireless.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    So the thing to do is - get some experience first; then get a cert.
    Don't forget that most cert verify knowledge, not experience. Certs are also an excellent way to learn about technologies that you have no experience with, such as when you want to move your career in a new direction. That was certainly part of the reason why I got my CWNP wireless certs.