Options

Resume: Objective still necessary?

I was looking at my resume and just about all is relevant to my current job hunt. I say this because my resume is now 2 pages - it's just over 1 page though, maybe up to a quarter of the 2nd page - and it seems weird to have a 2-page resume that can't really be trimmed, especially with all that extra space on the second page. I was wondering how common it is now to NOT have an objective on it as removing mine might create some space. I've seen one or two examples lately without it. Should I get rid of mine?

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Most CV's will be 2 pages long, some are even longer (depending on qualifications, experience and what job you go for).

Why would you want to trim a CV that is only just over 1 page long? How are you selling yourself (eg qualification, experience, etc.) with that?

-Ken
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wouldnt have one at all, most Objective statements I've seen are just lame. Most of them go like this - Skilled professional looking for a role in which I can grow and contribute to the organization. Isn't everyone looking to do the same thing?

If you want to keep such a section, put in Summary or Profile there and give a one-line or two-line (anything more and I'll think you're too full of yourself or desperate) description of what you are and what you offer. Have something like this - Skilled IT hardware professional with 4 years of PC troubleshooting experience offering advanced skills in problem resolution activities. You know something like this, something that will make the reader want to read the rest of the resume.

This is just my opinion, but I think without such a section, the resume starts abruptly. You'd then begin with Education if you had any and then the experience. Say if one had no education, the resume will start with the Experience section. That's abrupt for me, it'd look like the first page got chopped off or something and the Joe Blow HR dude looking at your resume will go Um, WTF? Delete. Next.

Just me 2 cents.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I think I've never had an objective on mine
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I think it would look fine without. But, at the same time, I don't mind letting my resume flow onto a 2nd page. Anything over 2 pages may be a bit much. Mine has a summary statement that says:

Accomplished IT professional with 9 years of experience implementing and maintaining information systems and networks. Proficient in troubleshooting multiple vendor hardware and software configurations in production environments.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've never really seen the point of an objective on the resume. If you are sending in your resume the objective is to get the job. I use a personal summary instead, but that's not really going to save you space unless you have both.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're gonna include an objective, it's best to tailor it to the position and company that you are trying to get on board with. It should at the very least relate how YOUR objectives can directly help the company's objectives.icon_wink.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I wouldn't worry about trying to keep the objective too much as long as you're sending cover letters in as well.

Your objective can be written into your cover letter at which point it's unnecessary on the resume itself.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I used to use objective statements in the beginning. Now I just put my certs. in the space the objective once was. icon_thumright.gif My resume is starting to creep to 3 pages now though.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Put that **** on your cover letter. Leave the resume as simply a factual account of you experience and education. Your cover letter can say who you are, why you want the job, and whatever other more personal info you want it to.