Options

Noobie question about subnetting

choobysoochoobysoo Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
The Problem.
IP address & mask:199.1.1.100/24

The question: What is the number of subnets?
Answer: 0

The book answer is 0, but I thought the right answer is 1, because #^0 always equal to 1. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It could be a trick question, but don't stress over this kind of question. You are right. However, I can see why the book said there's 0 subnet.

Sometimes, the book question likes to mess with people's head, but if you read the question carefully and slowly, it asked for number of SUBnet (sub-network). So in that case, there is no subnet. Just one network. This is where you got the right idea.
  • Options
    choobysoochoobysoo Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It could be a trick question, but don't stress over this kind of question. You are right. However, I can see why the book said there's 0 subnet.

Sometimes, the book question likes to mess with people's head, but if you read the question carefully and slowly, it asked for number of SUBnet (sub-network). So in that case, there is no subnet. Just one network. This is where you got the right idea.

I guess what you are saying, but other problems he use 2^# of subnet bits except for this one which is why it is confusing. He also said that if the problem uses a classless subnet mask, then don't subtract 2 from the total of available hosts. However, later on that lesson, he did the opposite what he was preached. I might of misunderstood the text, anyways, thanks for your reply.