Options

New certs

alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
Looks like cisco just announced some new technician level certs.

Looks like more aimed at practical/hardware level.

From first link below "onsite support and maintenance of Cisco networking devices"

CCT RS Cisco Certified Technician Routing and Switching
CCT TP Cisco Certified Technician Telepresence - need CCT RS first
CCT DC Cisco Certified Technician Data Centre - need CCT RS first

http://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/cct

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/cct/cct_routing_switching
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/cct/cct_telepresence
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/cct/cct_data_center

Cisco has a online course at US$299 or usual self study with Vue exam center exam for US$125

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/cisco-announces-cisco-certified-technician
Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014

Comments

• Options
    ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ya i got also email from cisco learning network

why cisco is doing crap things like this removing "en" and renaming cct

cct must be below ccent because ccent renewal doesnt show cct exam but cct exam show icnd1

anyway who will go for these exam as doesnt have any value($125 on these crap)

cisco want to make money from this new certs

640-692 RSTECH Exam Topics

Exam Topics

The following topics are general guidelines for the content likely to be included on the exam. However, other related topics may also appear on any specific delivery of the exam. In order to better reflect the contents of the exam and for clarity purposes, the guidelines below may change at any time without notice.

Identify Cisco Equipment and Related Hardware

• Identify the interfaces on Cisco equipment
    • Identify the cabling on Cisco equipment
    • Identify Cisco products by logo marking and model number (including, but not limited to, locations on chassis, line card, module, or adapter)
    • Identify and locate the serial number of Cisco products (including, but not limited to, locations on chassis, line card, module, or adapter)
    • Identify and describe the commonly used components
    • Describe the hardware memory common terms and use in Cisco routers and switches

Describe Cisco IOS Software Operation

• Describe the different operating modes for Cisco CatOS/IOS software
    • Navigate between the different operating modes listed
    • Determine the current mode of the device
    • Copy and paste a configuration file from/to a router or switch
    • Know how to use and interpret the basic Cisco IOS Software commands
    • Know how to use and interpret the IOS commands
    • Describe where to find the configuration register parameter and how to change it
    • Identify a configuration file from a Cisco device
    • Perform software upgrade or downgrade using TFTP, xmodem, tftpdnld, flash memory, memory card reader, or USB
    • Perform password recovery on a Cisco device

General Networking Knowledge

• Describe in general terms the basic functionality and key differences for the following hardware: LAN switch, router, modem, and Wireless Access Points
    • Describe what an IP address and subnet is
    • Differentiate between these Layer 2 technologies: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, Serial, ATM, ISDN, DSL, Optical, and so on
    • Describe what FTP does
    • Describe what TFTP does
    • Describe what a CSU/DSU does (i.e., loop back processes, and so on)
    • Describe Telco termination point (i.e., demarc, and so on)
    • Describe what Telnet and SSH does
    • Describe what ping does
    • Use the OSI and TCP/IP models and their associated protocols to explain how data flows in a network
    • Identify and correct common network problems at Layers 1 and 2

Service-related Knowledge

• Locate and use a text editor (i.e., Notepad)
    • Locate and use Terminal Emulation
    • Locate and use the Window command prompt
    • Configure networks settings for Ethernet port on laptop (IP address, subnet mask and default gateway) and establish a connection with Ethernet ports on Cisco equipment
    • Make a physical connection from laptop to Cisco console port
    • Make a physical Ethernet connection from laptop to Cisco device Ethernet port using correct cable
    • Use modem to connect to Cisco console port and phone line
    • Configure the correct DIP switch settings on the modem (or other appropriate settings)
    • Identify the different loop-back plugs
    • Identify null modem cable and application
    • Configure and use TFTP server (e.g. TFTP d32)
    • Use the hardware tools needed for repair
  • Options
    Jason0352Jason0352 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    -Identify Cisco products by logo marking and model number (including, but not limited to, locations on chassis, line card, module, or adapter)
    -Locate and use a text editor (i.e., Notepad)

You have got to be ****ing kidding me!
  • Options
    mctwistmctwist Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From the looks of it, seems to be aimed at field service tech working for service providers only to replace pre-configured hardware.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This reminds me of the Network+ but for Cisco. So I guess we can just call it Network++
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This reminds me of the Network+ but for Cisco. So I guess we can just call it Network++

Or Cisco+
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I kind of like these. I think at least one end-user from each of my company's branches should be forced to take and pass this exam. Then their eTardation would be minimal, significantly reducing the length of time I must be on the phone repeating myself.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    mctwist wrote: »
    From the looks of it, seems to be aimed at field service tech working for service providers only to replace pre-configured hardware.

My thoughts exactly. Seems like it would fit their role perfectly. I don't think this would do you any good if you are going for an admin/engineer role though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Or Cisco+

+1 ...lol
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Or Cisco+

^^THIS!...very catchy, but its just another way for Cisco to make money, I'm sure they've heard their test are too hard for noobs so they created this exam.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I think this is great. Many companies are moving to "smart hands" techs for remote sites. Knowledge like this is quite helpful.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Looks like a rack-n-stack certification. I don't see why anyone would take that instead of the ICND1, though.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Looks like a rack-n-stack certification. I don't see why anyone would take that instead of the ICND1, though.

Yep, I don't think these certs are pointed to the majority of the TE audience.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ColbyG wrote: »
    I think this is great. Many companies are moving to "smart hands" techs for remote sites. Knowledge like this is quite helpful.

I agree with Colby, i can see this cert working for people you might have at a remote site that deals with desktop support but he is also your hands on for the cisco equipment.

First thing I thought of when i saw the topics of this cert was, this would be a good cert for John Doe over at the <enter name> remote site.

Eh it has its purpose, i see this cert identical to the usage of the CWTS cert in the CWNP track.

The Data Center CCT cert looks cool! i like the topics it is featuring. Not deep but at least its a start for DC technologies.

Training Module
    Topics
    Module 1
    Understand data center networking fundamentals including storage area networking, unified computing fabric, unshielded twisted-pair (UTP) and fibre connectors, and data center server options.
    Module 2
    Identify and work with Cisco Unified Computing System component models, accessories, cabling, and interfaces.
    Module 3
    Gather information in Cisco Unified Computing System and Cisco Nexus Operating System environments and from commonly-found software, to evaluate and diagnose data center operations.
    Module 4
    Know and use procedures for effective field servicing and equipment replacement, including hot swap, with the support of Cisco Technical Assistance Center.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Locate and use a text editor (i.e., Notepad)

what the heck!?
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    pitviper wrote: »
    what the heck!?

You'd be surprised with some of the field techs I've had to deal with. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You'd be surprised with some of the field techs I've had to deal with. icon_lol.gif

Honestly, if someone needs a class/test for that skill I don’t want them anywhere near anything that’s plugged into the wall – let alone our network gear! :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Monkerz wrote: »
    I kind of like these. I think at least one end-user from each of my company's branches should be forced to take and pass this exam. Then their eTardation would be minimal, significantly reducing the length of time I must be on the phone repeating myself.

If you want etardation , you want my works IT department(university).
    They managed to wipe out the main website and the dns when migrating the san. Then they blamed it on a vendor.

On tuesday and wednesday the only things in big brother showing green was our servers
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work for a telecommunications service provider and the study content for this exam is exactly what Field Engineers, Cellular Technicians, and Switch Engineers need to do their job properly. We are deploying Cellsite Routers and having field techs do it who have a background in power/rf/2G/3G equipment. They dont know how to set configuration registers and where to find part/serial numbers for every component of the router. You guys may be in different industries than me, but these exams are perfect for 2G/3G/4G field technicians!!!
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    johnnyarks wrote: »
    ^^THIS!...very catchy, but its just another way for Cisco to make money, I'm sure they've heard their test are too hard for noobs so they created this exam.

+1.

Agreed on both points. Ci$co only wants to make more $$$ and could care less about the students who want a better career, who are trying to working towards the CCNA.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown