Options

Riser Cards?

AzimScotAzimScot Inactive Imported Users Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone got more info on what these are and what they do?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    They are boards that connect to the motherboard and then you can connect more boards onto them. I guess they're not in use anymore though.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    AzimScot wrote:
    Anyone got more info on what these are and what they do?

Thanks.

What sort of information and 'riser' cards are you looking for?

They were more commonly used up into the early 90's but mostly the desktop systems are configured with on-board devices or PCI slots to hold additional cards.

There are more modern 'risers' such as the ARM (Short for Audio Modem Riser, an Intel specification that defines a new architecture for the design of motherboards) where vendors were using them as recently as 2001/2.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I work with machines that utilize risers. Basically, what the others already said I could reiterate. It's just a way to expand on the current motherboard, without replacement. It's also used for a few cards that are too tall, but could be installed horizontaly. Only our older equipment has them nowdays.
    i remain, he who remains to be....