Options

Just passed Network+

studyguy1studyguy1 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I scored an 873/900 on my certification. The study resources I used were Professor Messer, online study guides including the one on this website, a book that I had from a networking class I took in college, and practice exams. So, what do you guys think I should do next? In addition to this certification I also have A+ and am an AccessData Certified Examiner, which is a certification I obtained while taking a Computer Forensics class in college. I also graduated from college in Computer Science with a GPA of 3.14.

I also bought McGraw Hill's All-In-One CompTIA Security+ Exam Guide and I plan on taking that certification eventually but I don't know how much it would help me when even right now I can't get my foot in the door for Help Desk positions, which is mostly what I have been applying for. I have gotten a few calls back but I have been turned down due to what is essentially lack of experience. In the meantime, I know one specific case, and I feel like there are a lot of others, where people are getting jobs a step or two above Help Desk positions, positions I figured I would be starting out with, and in the specific case I don't think he has any certifications. I feel like there are people getting jobs just because they have contacts, family, friends, not because they necessarily were the person best qualified for the job, and this kind of thing is just getting me down. Ok, my rant is finished now. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do next?

Comments

• Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    start studying for your CCNA. you could do the ICND 1 and then 2 route (get the books as a set from amazon) or you could just sit for the 1 CCNA exam. either way you get your ccna. then move into some of the microsoft certs like 70-680, 685 , 686, 640, etc...
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    SecuSecu Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gratz, i did 70-680 and it helped me with landing a job, its just help-desk though
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass!icon_cheers.gif
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    studyguy1 wrote: »
    I scored an 873/900 on my certification. The study resources I used were Professor Messer, online study guides including the one on this website, a book that I had from a networking class I took in college, and practice exams. So, what do you guys think I should do next? In addition to this certification I also have A+ and am an AccessData Certified Examiner, which is a certification I obtained while taking a Computer Forensics class in college. I also graduated from college in Computer Science with a GPA of 3.14.

I also bought McGraw Hill's All-In-One CompTIA Security+ Exam Guide and I plan on taking that certification eventually but I don't know how much it would help me when even right now I can't get my foot in the door for Help Desk positions, which is mostly what I have been applying for. I have gotten a few calls back but I have been turned down due to what is essentially lack of experience. In the meantime, I know one specific case, and I feel like there are a lot of others, where people are getting jobs a step or two above Help Desk positions, positions I figured I would be starting out with, and in the specific case I don't think he has any certifications. I feel like there are people getting jobs just because they have contacts, family, friends, not because they necessarily were the person best qualified for the job, and this kind of thing is just getting me down. Ok, my rant is finished now. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do next?

What are you interested in? If it's networking, then hit the CCNA, if you find you like Help Desk or support, then the Windows 7 certs like the 685/680 would be good to start with.
    You mentioned that you graduated with a CS degree. That, with your certs should at least get you some interviews.

btw: welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    studyguy1studyguy1 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am most interested in security and computer forensics and would like to do something involving that eventually although I don't have any expectation of starting out with something like that. I've just been applying to help desk jobs and other lower level jobs mostly through CareerBuilder and all I've got through that is two calls, the first one I was told I didn't have any experience and the second one I was interviewed and but I didn't get the job. I don't think it would have worked out anyway since it was part time and far from home. I don't know if there is something wrong with my resume or what but it doesn't seem like any companies are showing real interest in me.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    ccollins42ccollins42 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I plan on taking it in 2-3 weeks.