Options

Got offered the job, but...

MirthMirth Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys. Some of you helped me greatly in giving me advice for getting a Desktop Support Technician job at the main local hospital here in town, and I thank you greatly for it!

I guess I just need to make a rant here and let it all out.

I got offered the job and a salary. I was extremely shocked when the HR said I'd get an hourly rate of $12.75, or $23,868 a year. I've seen Help Desk Level I jobs that paid more than that and felt overqualified for. Desktop Support seemed like the perfect starting position into my career, but the salary offer feels sort of insulting. Glassdoor.com has the low salary for this position at $34K and the high at $45K. I was expecting at least in the low-mid 30,000's to start off at. I tried to negotiate, but she said that she couldn't pay me more than the other people with the same position as me, but she'd talk to some people and see what they can do.

I don't have a job now, so I pretty much have to take it anyways. I'm not saying I'm not grateful; I'm glad I'm even getting a job. It says "Your position is approved for 72 hours per pay period", so I assume I'll only be working 36 hours per week. I just feel so disappointed... I spent around 5 years in college getting a Bachelors in IT Engineering, then getting my Network+ and A+ certs, and it seems like a lot of work and anxiousness to end up with a position that pays so low in a highly stressful job that's more engaging than other Desktop Support jobs elsewhere (according to them).

Maybe I'm just being greedy, but I feel like I should look for another job while I'm working here. =\

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    To be honest with you, you should consider yourself lucky if this is your first IT gig. You could had it worse. Right now, you seem to be on the right path, and you should stay optimistic. You are right that you may need to apply for another job while you're there since they don't really expect people to stay around helpdesk jobs for more than 2 years. While you're there, keep working on certs, and learn as much as you can. You will eventually surprise yourself by the time you leave your current job.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Unfortunately most entry level positions start low in IT. This is why I suggest that most people get at least part time, entry level support positions while they work on their degree.

Take it, gain some experience and move into something higher paying as quick as possible. Most of the higher paying jobs being listed as entry level still want at least a year of helpdesk/desktop support experience.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mirth wrote: »
    ....it seems like a lot of work and anxiousness to end up with a position that pays so low in a highly stressful job that's more engaging than other Desktop Support jobs elsewhere (according to them)....
    And what are they basing that assumption on? What makes their DS job "more engaging" than anywhere else in the vicinity?
    My apologies for my response; but for them to say that really makes scratch my head....
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    While I can totally understand your anger I have to say that many of us have gone trough this.

Nobody starts at the top of the ladder. You have to put your time and effort in at the bottom and start climbing. However, your time is NOT wasted. You will learn something from this job and this experience will help you along the way.

Keep your eyes and ears open but focus on the job at hand until opportunity knocks on your door :) Best of luck!
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    MirthMirth Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote: »

I read it just now to see the correlation between first starting salary and education, and it seems that the majority of the people with only High School diplomas or self-taught made in the $20Ks and the ones with Associates or Bachelors degrees started in the $30Ks or higher. So that just kind of backs up my point. =\ Plus I have about a year's worth of IT experience.

MrRyte wrote: »
    And what are they basing that assumption on? What makes their DS job "more engaging" than anywhere else in the vicinity?
    My apologies for my response; but for them to say that really makes scratch my head....

I'm not sure, as I've never had this sort of position so it's hard to compare. From what he told me, I would constantly be on my feet going to computers or systems within the hospital and I wouldn't be sitting down any. The other Desktop Support person in the room agreed with him. He also said I'd be on call for 1 week a month I think, and that the last guy quit due to how much stress it was. Not sure how much of what they are saying is true or if they're just trying to scare away candidates that couldn't handle working.

But yeah, I mean, I'll obviously do the job but I'll still look around. My friend told me there is a few openings at her job for an SAP position or ABAP developer position, and they start at $30-$33K. It's about 6 states away, but I have no problem with moving. Of course, that's Information Systems and not IT, but IT is just so overly-populated that I'm not sure I want to be in this field anymore really...
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Unfortunately most entry level positions start low in IT. This is why I suggest that most people get at least part time, entry level support positions while they work on their degree.

That's what I did (contractor work while in college working ~20 hours per month doing short jobs off of craigslist).

You can probably move up very quickly at that hospital if you stick with it. If you have not seen a raise or promotion after 12 months, go take a higher paying job somewhere else.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I read it just now to see the correlation between first starting salary and education, and it seems that the majority of the people with only High School diplomas or self-taught made in the $20Ks and the ones with Associates or Bachelors degrees started in the $30Ks or higher. So that just kind of backs up my point. =\ Plus I have about a year's worth of IT experience.

I'm not sure, as I've never had this sort of position so it's hard to compare. From what he told me, I would constantly be on my feet going to computers or systems within the hospital and I wouldn't be sitting down any. The other Desktop Support person in the room agreed with him. He also said I'd be on call for 1 week a month I think, and that the last guy quit due to how much stress it was. Not sure how much of what they are saying is true or if they're just trying to scare away candidates that couldn't handle working.

But yeah, I mean, I'll obviously do the job but I'll still look around. My friend told me there is a few openings at her job for an SAP position or ABAP developer position, and they start at $30-$33K. It's about 6 states away, but I have no problem with moving. Of course, that's Information Systems and not IT, but IT is just so overly-populated that I'm not sure I want to be in this field anymore really...
    Don't let that discourage you. Look at it as planting seeds to a better future. IT may be "overpopulated" but like any other field; the key to standing out is you aptitude and attitude.

See what happens in a few months. If you do a good job they'll be more willing to give you more $$$. If not; then look for another company that will give what you're worth. icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□

It's up to you to interpret the data. I just posted it for your resource.

My suggestion is to always start out in very small business, and get your skills. The money comes with your skills presented in the interview.

Worry about skills first, the money will come later. (Which I think is what the thread proves)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I havent looked at glassdoor in a while, but are those figures just salary, or with benefits included as well? If you are getting free or heavily discounted insurance through the hospital, then you need to figure that in as well.

What about education benefits, are those offered to you in this position?

Gotta look at the whole picture.