Options

Which certifications have brought you the most success?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1 was to have 2-3 years IT experience or a degree plus 1-2 years. CHECK and then CCNA BOOOOOOOOO. Never got the job, and what makes me sick the pay at the time was 65,000 a year with AT&T.
    I was in a similar situation once. I wanted the position so badly, I learned and passed the CCNA in under two weeks, part-time. I believe that gesture impressed them more than the certification itself. Not that I passed it so quickly, but that I was so determined to work there and have that position.

That ITIL stuff sounds very interesting. I don't want to be a manager, but I definitely see the value in aligning the business with the technical. Maybe after the CCIE. ;)

My education also mattered much more than certifications.
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    My education also mattered much more than certifications.

I definitely agree with you on this one. I understand the importance of certifications, but a degree always outweighs them in my opinion. The CCIE on the other hand makes a big statement...
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    Doc1500Doc1500 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hear Rack Space is hiring just on the CCNA alone with no exp
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I honestly wouldn't say any of my certs have brought me success. They're just validation of skills that I've gone out of my way to build, they're a means to an end, not an end itself. The job that formed the basis of my real experience, I didn't get because of my certs, and the jobs I've held since, I've gotten because I built a solid body of experience, and continue to do so. I'm expecting the CCIE to be a contributing factor, because that one tends to get peoples attention, but assuming I decide to part ways with my current employer at some point, the next time I'm interviewing, I expect that the fact that I've had a measurable body of work with 3 Fortune 500 companies to carry alot more weight than anything else. Combine that with the fact that I'm a candid interviewee, and it becomes immediately obvious that I can competently converse on the subject matter, and the certs are just window dressing.

My certifications do not define who I am, they play a supplementary role only.
  • Options
    To explain a little more - my CCNA got me a job with a Cisco reseller, making 26k/yr. I was auditing in bound equipment to make sure it worked, cleaning off configs, and occasionally prepping it with pre-configs for outbound customers. Not exactly a glamorous job, nor one that requires being technically gifted. While not being very demanding, it did teach me quite a bit about the different platforms. I remember the first time I encountered a 6500 and the concept of a modular switch and supervisor modules blew my mind.. they didn't cover any of that stuff in the CCNA, after all!

I ended up getting laid off from that job, and a friend got me a job with his company as a linux admin. They didn't give a crap about my CCNA. I took the job, because they also had a pretty cool network, and throughout my first year there, I made it widely known what I wanted to do, made friends with the network geeks, established rapport to the point where they trusted me with little bits of work here and there, and when the company needed someone to step up and take over, I was an easy decision, because I already had the confidence of the folks involved, and had already proven myself competent (and I did that while becoming one of the best linux admins the company had ever seen). It was my hustle and my persistence that got me the opportunity, not my certs.

That job formed the core of my experience, and it's what I've built upon ever since. My certs probably would have helped me at some point, but the truth is, I've never needed to fall back on them, and gods willing, that will continue to be true throughout my career.
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I don't think any cert I have has brought me success other than getting my resume through HR and into the hands of a hiring manager. And quite frankly, I think once I'm done with MCITP:EA - and I'm only doing that one because of WGU - I'm mostly done with certs. I'm entertaining the thought of maybe going for the VMware advanced certs next year, but that's contingent upon me being able to actually build out a decent lab with a SAN and HBAs, and that's going to take some cash I'm not sure I can spare at this point, especially since the wife and I are talking about trying for kiddo #2 this summer.

I do want to get more in depth with Linux - I'm good with day to day stuff, and can figure out most everything else with minimal poking around and hitting man, but I want to be more knowledgeable about it. I've got access to some LPIC and RHCE training materials that I will use as a guide, but I doubt I'll pursue either cert.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    VCP got me $70k pay increase in under a year, but its not quite as valuable in other locations.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So Dave

How does this sound, (just me thinking here)

Get your CCNA get a job for a few years 1-2 then get your VMware certification?

Thoughts?
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    So Dave

How does this sound, (just me thinking here)

Get your CCNA get a job for a few years 1-2 then get your VMware certification?

Thoughts?

Go for the technology you're interested in. If you're interested in a tech, then you're more likely to learn about and become better in that technology.
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My CCNA got me a 30k increase and landed me a vmware role. I then went onto to get my VCP. It has helped me in my current role Boss has faith in my ability. Those two certifications has brought me the most success.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    Nice follow up Odysseye

I do not plan to go for either, but for the young guys and gals it seems like a good thread for them to align their degree and employment strategy after. Saving money is always good and knowing first hand which certification brings more value is important.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My answer is all of my certs.

Some years ago I won over a client because I explained to him why he was over spending on hardware. I explained the technicalities of basic computer hardware (A+ stuff) and pointed out what he needed versus what he was being sold. That basic information won me that account. It was just 10 hours a month, but a billing rate of $90 dollars an hour. His trust in that basic knowledge I gave him brought me in business via word of mouth.

My lowly A+ cert gave me the skills to present value to the client. Every certification gives you insight & adds value. Just as important are courses in communication. People judge your intelligence on how well you communicate.

As for the certificate that has earned me the most money? A certificate I took in business writing and communication. The ability to develop a business proposal and communicate to a client has pulled in more business for me than any technical certification ever has. Success in IT is a mix of many things; a very important facet is demonstrating you present "value" to your client or employer.
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    This thread totally made me go for my CCNA. I was already going for the CCENT due to WGU, but this thread encouraged me to change my major to IT Security to get that CCNA ASAP

I did the same thing sir after reading your post and this thread. I may take CCNA on my own before entering WGU..
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    Gdeus:

Good luck I wish you the best. It sounds like a solid plan!
  • Options
    WGUGeekGirlWGUGeekGirl Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    antielvis wrote: »

Some years ago I won over a client because I explained to him why he was over spending on hardware. I explained the technicalities of basic computer hardware (A+ stuff) and pointed out what he needed versus what he was being sold. That basic information won me that account. It was just 10 hours a month, but a billing rate of $90 dollars an hour. His trust in that basic knowledge I gave him brought me in business via word of mouth.

My lowly A+ cert gave me the skills to present value to the client. Every certification gives you insight & adds value. Just as important are courses in communication. People judge your intelligence on how well you communicate.

As for the certificate that has earned me the most money? A certificate I took in business writing and communication. The ability to develop a business proposal and communicate to a client has pulled in more business for me than any technical certification ever has. Success in IT is a mix of many things; a very important facet is demonstrating you present "value" to your client or employer.

This was right on time because I've been considering the A+ cert even though WGU didn't require it because I recently received my Associate degree. Hopefully I can take on the A+ on my own with some of the extra time I'll have left in the term after my next course. Thanks for the input because it really helped me out. :)

I've also heard that even with top certs some companies require the A+ cert as well. Has anyone experienced this? If so, did you already have the A+ or did you not have the cert yet? I've been wanting to hear if this experience was true or not.
    "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." - Psalms 119:105 (KJV)
    WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress:
    Transferred
    (58 CUs) | Required (17 CUs) | In Progress (8 CUs) | Completed (36 CUs)
    BBC1, CVV1, GAC1, HHT1, AGC1, BVC1, INC1, INT1, WFV1, AXV1, CPV1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, IWC1, IWT1, QLT1, CLC1, DJV1, DHV1 | COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TYC1, TYP1 | CJV1, CUV1, BOV1, TPV1, MGC1, RIT1, BNC1, KET1, CTV1
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    N2IT wrote: »
    Gdeus:

Good luck I wish you the best. It sounds like a solid plan!

Thanks sir. I appreciate it.. I think so too .. :)
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    antielvis wrote: »

Thanks for writing this, i was reallying thinking about getting my A+ after I finish up my CCNA and this another great reason why.

You said that you took a business and writing communication cert? Which one was it?
  • Options
    DreadJuniorDreadJunior Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i can say my A+ knowledge & cert brought me the most success. I've been playing around with computers since i was a kid but doesn't really know how things go around the hardware side. And having the A+ knowledge clear things up. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Thank you all. This thread has really made me think about getting CCNA. After passing N+ and S+, I was going to become MCTS Windows 7 to do desktop support, but jobs in this area don't really pay well (although I enjoy doing it). I guess I can always become more familiar with Microsoft stuff, but for now my plan is to get CCNA.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Network+ and CCENT have helped me the most thus far in my career. The HR department from my current employer said the only reason I was interviewed was because of my certifications (I lacked the experience they were looking for).
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd have to say getting all 4 ISACA certs.

Looking to get a 100% increase in a few weeks. :D

The one that I'm most proud of though is the CISSP.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for writing this, i was reallying thinking about getting my A+ after I finish up my CCNA and this another great reason why.

You said that you took a business and writing communication cert? Which one was it?

The course was at a local college. It was centered around "Business Writing". We talked about the basics of business writing versus the stuff you find in book (business writing gets right to the topic). We talked about small things like where to put an apostrophe when a word ends with s (is it Toms Books' or Toms Book's or something else). There was also good stuff about how to write a proper email & how to escalate an issue (you mail YOUR boss, not their boss). One thing I never thought about was how a poorly worded email is a huge waste of company time. If you write a poorly worded email & it takes a person 10 minutes to figure out what you mean...how much time is lost if 1000 people read it?

Think of it this way. People judge you on how you communicate. Go read the comments in Youtube to understand what I mean icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Great call on the business email. This is a 100% true and all of us can stand to improve in this area. Nobody is perfect I am a perfect example ;)
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    NOC spot open at my company... lets see if this still fresh CCNA makes an impact...
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    My theory is riding on this. You better not f up that interview ;)

Just kidding good luck!
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    NOC spot open at my company... lets see if this still fresh CCNA makes an impact...

You got the interview, so it has. The rest is up to you, not the letters.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GoodBishop wrote: »
    I'd have to say getting all 4 ISACA certs.

Looking to get a 100% increase in a few weeks. :D

The one that I'm most proud of though is the CISSP.
    Got the 100% increase (new job)! Woo!

Just in time for the baby that was delivered the same day as the offer letter. :p
  • Options
    GoodBishop wrote: »
    Got the 100% increase (new job)! Woo!

Just in time for the baby that was delivered the same day as the offer letter. :p

Congratulations on both. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    GoodBishop - Nice work! Gotta love that extra income!

Congrads on the new child as well!
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    well since I got into Linux by myself I have to say that certifying LPIC-1/CLA (even though both are entry level) got me a job as a windows\linux sysadmin, that was one of the proves I know a thing or two. I don't know if I could have gotten a better job with LPIC-2 and 3 Core because they both came after my current upcoming new job acceptance.