Which cert should I go for?

Mah BahlsMah Bahls Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Got a quick question for you. I am currently reading up on my Net+ cert and intend on getting it in the next month or so. I also have plans on getting my MCITP W7ES.

The issue comes in with my company; they will be switching to W7 by the end of the year. This is a global company, and I work the SD providing L1 support.

I would hate to stop mid-study to switch certs, but I would like to be able to sell myself by being the most qualified to support Windows 7.

Two questions come up;

Do you guys think I should continue my current path (Net+ then W7) or should I switch it (W7 then Net+)?

Does anyone think an MCITP cert would have any value for a L1 helpdesk associate in the eyes of the company? I am going to get the cert regardless of the company opinion, but if the cert won't provide any immediate value in my current position, I would be willing to put it on hold.

Just some thoughts on the situation so I can see what other professionals think about it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• kpm2kkpm2k Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey there,

I do believe that there are benefits to getting your MCITP. You will learn some things that will help you in your everyday job. Things like knowing whats going on in the background, and being able to quickly identify what may be a network or server issues, rather than a desktop issue.

I would also say, it would make it much easier to move up if you had the certification, but the issue is that if you won't be able to move up for years, the information learned may be unused and soon be forgotten.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My microsoft certs doubled my salary, but that's not the case for everyone. I would go MS over the CompTIA stuff, but CompTIA helped me land my first job so they are good as well.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mah Bahls wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Got a quick question for you. I am currently reading up on my Net+ cert and intend on getting it in the next month or so. I also have plans on getting my MCITP W7ES.

The issue comes in with my company; they will be switching to W7 by the end of the year. This is a global company, and I work the SD providing L1 support.

I would hate to stop mid-study to switch certs, but I would like to be able to sell myself by being the most qualified to support Windows 7.

Two questions come up;

Do you guys think I should continue my current path (Net+ then W7) or should I switch it (W7 then Net+)?

Does anyone think an MCITP cert would have any value for a L1 helpdesk associate in the eyes of the company? I am going to get the cert regardless of the company opinion, but if the cert won't provide any immediate value in my current position, I would be willing to put it on hold.

Just some thoughts on the situation so I can see what other professionals think about it.

Thanks in advance.

There are a whole lot of factors that play into a decision like this. I really don't see the magnitude of your decision being that high, so don't spend to much time pondering over this. I would go with your gut. If this decision means that much to you, get some quiet time and clear your mind and think the decision through.

Now my opinion is the Windows 7 certifications are a lot more rare and difficult giving them a lot more value. However, Network + has solid material and gives you a solid understanding of networking as a whole. It can fill in some knowledge gaps as well.

Good luck either path will help.
  • Aparajita SrivastavaAparajita Srivastava Banned Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mah Bahls wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Two questions come up;

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

In my opinion, you should continue with your study for Network+ and after getting this certification you can go for MCITP. As you are already preparing for Network+ certification and also it will help you to learn about networking. Then you can move towards windows 7 certification.

Whether you choose first path (Net+ win7) or the second (win7, Net+), both will be helpful. But the fact is, if you switch to second path and leave your study for Net+, it will take excess time to complete your certification goal. Because you have already studied for Network+ and you will discontinue it for win7 and after getting Win7, you will come back to Network+ and will start your study from beginning?

Isn't it time taking more than usual? So, it would be better if you continue with your current path. Goodluck!
  • andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    As Aparajita said since you've already prepared for the Net+,i think your best is to go for the net+ first(its not a difficult one) and after that you can then go for win7 since your company will be migrating to win7 by the end of the year,i think it will give you more opportunity.