frame relay inverse arp

oxzganoxzgan Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
i have doubt regarding inverse arp and static mapping. As per my understandings i know inverser arp is enabled default on all interfaces.. so if you want to use inverse arp you only need to
r1 local dlci

100 , 200

r2 local dlci

r3 local dlci

r1 is having 2 local dlci this is a multipoint connection, so the ip address should be in same subnet

configuration R1

==

r1#ip add 192.168.40.1 255.255.255.0

#encapsulation frame-relay

# no sh

( rember inverser arp is enabled default so no need to specify #frame-relay inverse arp)

r2#ip add 192.168.40.2

r3#ip add 192.168.40.3

my doubt do we need to specify # frame-relay inf-dlci < dlci num > command on interfaces if we are using inverse arp?

question 2 ) in static mapping when we use #frame-relay intf-dlci < dlci > or #frame-relay map ip < local dlci >
do we need to use both together ? if not can u explain exact use of these commands ? it it related to subinterfaces?

Comments

• oxzganoxzgan Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    the DLCI the router receives is via LMI from the frame switch and its received on the main interface. On the main interface for inverse arp to work you need to set the encapsulation to frame relay and assign an ip address, for static in addition you use frame map statement. In order to bring the DLCI down to the sub-interfaces you need either a static frame map statement or use frame-relay interface-dlci commnad for inverse arp on multipoint sub-interface. For point to point just use frame-relay interface-dlci and because its point to point it wont inverse arp for the IP. The frame-relay interface-dlci can also be used to attach a mapclass to a dlci. Hope this helps
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew