Options

Couple of WGU BSIT-NDM questions

LAN_GuruLAN_Guru Member Posts: 119
I am planning on starting WGU in 2012 (BSIT-NDM) and was wondering if there is a limit to the amount of transfer credits.

I have just completed my MCITP-EA, have held MCSE since 2000, and am planning on doing CIW Foundations, CompTIA A+ (both parts), Network+, Project+, and Security+ prior to starting WGU. I am also hoping that I can satisfy BAC1 and BBC1 from classes I took at a Jr College tech school back in 1994. Altogether, that would be 62 CU's complete out of 124 required.

Does that sound correct to you?

Also, I do well in an accelerated environment (did the NT4 MCSE in a 16 day bootcamp in 2000 and did the MCITP-EA in 61 days self study, exam every 12 days without over-burdening myself) and was wondering if it would be conceivable to complete 62 CU's in one term? I know 2 terms would be very doable.

Thanks in advance!
9/1 - Citrix A18 :study:
9/20 - Citrix A19, 10/4 - Citrix A24, 10/18 - Citrix A08, 11/1 - Citrix A15, 11/17 - Cisco 640-802, 12/1 - Cisco 642-813, 12/15 - Cisco 642-902, 12/30 - Cisco 642-832

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Although, I'm not in the NDM track, but if what you said is true, then I believe you are all set for the program. You seem to know what you are doing, and that's a good thing since WGU would like to see that. We can't evaluate your transcript accurately. However, if you really want to know what's gonna be transferred over, then apply to WGU and allow them to evaluate your transcript before you enroll. You can abandon the enrollment process if you feel that the evaluation was not fair at all. Heck, you can even try negotiating with your enrollment counselor if you want. Remember, there's no additional charge for the transcript evaluation and the enrollment as long as you paid or got waived from the application fee.
  • Options
    Although, I'm not in the NDM track, but if what you said is true, then I believe you are all set for the program. You seem to know what you are doing, and that's a good thing since WGU would like to see that. We can't evaluate your transcript accurately. However, if you really want to know what's gonna be transferred over, then apply to WGU and allow them to evaluate your transcript before you enroll. You can abandon the enrollment process if you feel that the evaluation was not fair at all. Heck, you can even try negotiating with your enrollment counselor if you want. Remember, there's no additional charge for the transcript evaluation and the enrollment as long as you paid or got waived from the application fee.

I suppose I got a little verbose and should have been more to the point. I apologize.

1) Is there a limit to how many CUs you can transfer via current certifications that are a part of the chosen degree program?

2) Is it conceivable for someone who excels in an accelerated learning environment to complete 62 CU's in one term? I know 2 terms would be very do-able.

Thanks!
    9/20 - Citrix A19, 10/4 - Citrix A24, 10/18 - Citrix A08, 11/1 - Citrix A15, 11/17 - Cisco 640-802, 12/1 - Cisco 642-813, 12/15 - Cisco 642-902, 12/30 - Cisco 642-832
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    62 CU in one term isn't too hard, just takes some motivation. I did around 45 each term and I was working at it about 15-25 hours a week. Now... Why put the money out now for the certs? Especially the CIW ones. Once you get into WGU they will pay for the vouchers. As long as you say you're good to go they'll hand it over. You could study for all of them now and as soon as you start request the vouchers and finish all the CU's for them in a month. That's what I would do.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    LAN_Guru wrote: »
    I am planning on starting WGU in 2012 (BSIT-NDM) and was wondering if there is a limit to the amount of transfer credits.

I have just completed my MCITP-EA, have held MCSE since 2000, and am planning on doing CIW Foundations, CompTIA A+ (both parts), Network+, Project+, and Security+ prior to starting WGU. I am also hoping that I can satisfy BAC1 and BBC1 from classes I took at a Jr College tech school back in 1994. Altogether, that would be 62 CU's complete out of 124 required.

Does that sound correct to you?

Also, I do well in an accelerated environment (did the NT4 MCSE in a 16 day bootcamp in 2000 and did the MCITP-EA in 61 days self study, exam every 12 days without over-burdening myself) and was wondering if it would be conceivable to complete 62 CU's in one term? I know 2 terms would be very doable.

Thanks in advance!

Read this thread, and try to match it:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/60354-finished-degree-one-semester-wgu.html
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    62 CU in one term isn't too hard, just takes some motivation. I did around 45 each term and I was working at it about 15-25 hours a week. Now... Why put the money out now for the certs? Especially the CIW ones. Once you get into WGU they will pay for the vouchers. As long as you say you're good to go they'll hand it over. You could study for all of them now and as soon as you start request the vouchers and finish all the CU's for them in a month. That's what I would do.

My reasoning is that, if I complete all the certs (except javascript) before I start, I have less CUs to complete and the more likely I am to be able to complete my degree in one term. Also, I want to leave as much time as possible for the capstone and completing those certs before starting gets me an extra month to complete the other CUs and capstone.

Then again, I coukl probably pass CIW Foundations and Network+ in a day without studying and could review for a day and pass A+. I took the Network+ Transcender at a friends on a bet recently and made 950+ without opening a book.

If I don't finish in one term, then it is another $3000 for a second term. You pay for the exams one way or another, whether it is embedded in the WGU tuition or paying for the exams outright.

Maybe I am analyzing this all wrong?
  • Options
    My reasoning is that, if I complete all the certs (except javascript) before I start, I have less CUs to complete and the more likely I am to be able to complete my degree in one term. Also, I want to leave as much time as possible for the capstone and completing those certs before starting gets me an extra month to complete the other CUs and capstone.

Then again, I coukl probably pass CIW Foundations and Network+ in a day without studying and could review for a day and pass A+. I took the Network+ Transcender at a friends on a bet recently and made 950+ without opening a book.

If I don't finish in one term, then it is another $3000 for a second term. You pay for the exams one way or another, whether it is embedded in the WGU tuition or paying for the exams outright.

Maybe I am analyzing this all wrong?

If you have decent network experience, you very well could pass the Network+ without studying, but if you begin at WGU with your CCNA, doesn't that clear your having to take the Network+?
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    If you have decent network experience, you very well could pass the Network+ without studying, but if you begin at WGU with your CCNA, doesn't that clear your having to take the Network+?

Good points. I will have to check the CCNA>Network+ transfer. You would think MCITP-EA would clear Network+ and especially MCSE on NT4 as one of the exams was Network Essentials (which I made 1000/1000 on in 2000)

Actually, you would think A+ and CIW Foundations would also be cleared for a 17 year seasoned network engineer with MCSE and MCITP-EA.
  • Options
    Good points. I will have to check the CCNA>Network+ transfer. You would think MCITP-EA would clear Network+ and especially MCSE on NT4 as one of the exams was Network Essentials (which I made 1000/1000 on in 2000)

Actually, you would think A+ and CIW Foundations would also be cleared for a 17 year seasoned network engineer with MCSE and MCITP-EA.

I think the cert has to be earned within the last 5 years for WGU to count it.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    instant000 wrote: »
    I think the cert has to be earned within the last 5 years for WGU to count it.

It does have to be in the past five years for it to count. Thats what I Was told from my instructor last week.