Options

Lab Setup - Please Educate Me

kerxkerx Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know this has been a question that everyone asks all the time. As much research I've done about setting up the right lab, it just always throws me in circles. And I don't feel like I have enough confidence, to begin throwing my dollars into it.

Goal: To setup a PHYSICAL lab to use for my current CCNP studies, that I can expand into my CCIE studies (use it for Narbiks WB's, INE WB's, and IPExpert WB's).

Note: If possible, and I know this might be pushing it (that's why I'm adding it as a side note). To be able to get equipment that I can use in the future for CCNA/CCNP voice studies.

Comments

• Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Isn't working out the needed equipment part of the education/studies ?

Look at whats available on ebay, then google its capabilities, read networking blogs etc

Make a list of the available cisco equipment , its capabilities , its costs then work out a budget and go from there. Look at what hardware cisco recommends its partner to use in teaching labs.

few links to start with
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/69645-ccnp-lab.html
    Cisco Cert Zone: Index Page: CCNP Lab Series, 2010
    CCNP Build Lists

Also whats useful for ccnp may not be useful for ccie or for voice.

Research it, then make a post back here, saying this is the setup you've researched and ask for advice or what people think
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I think alot of the configs on the CCNP Switch are based on the 2950.

For voice you will need something with PoE like a 3524-PWR-XL.
  • Options
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    I think alot of the configs on the CCNP Switch are based on the 2950.

For voice you will need something with PoE like a 3524-PWR-XL.

Thanks SharkDiver. I'm taking alxx's suggestion, and doing my research on the diff. labs and suggestions online to put together a list. My college just started up today, so I'm going to be busy until Thur/Fri. So hopefully on Sat, I can post up a list here.
  • Options
    kerx wrote: »
    Thanks SharkDiver. I'm taking alxx's suggestion, and doing my research on the diff. labs and suggestions online to put together a list. My college just started up today, so I'm going to be busy until Thur/Fri. So hopefully on Sat, I can post up a list here.

Have a look in the CCNA threads as well

I'd suggest 3550's if your budget can handle them not 3500xl's ( rather old).

When buying equipment do not be in a hurry. Take your time , be very patient and you can get some really good deals.

DO NOT BUY PrePACKAGED LABS/LAB PACKAGES - usually a big rip off!!!
  • Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    I've very slowly built up the following lab:
    4x 2801 routers all with WIC-2T cards running IOS 15.1
    1x 2811 routers with NM-16ESW running IOS 15.1
    3x 2611XM routers running IOS 12.4
    1x 3750 switch
    1x 3550 switch
    2x 2950 switches
    1x 2960 switch

Still looking to buy a serial console server and a 2522 for a frame relay switch.. even though I do not like studying for Frame Relay as all of our clients have pretty much switched over to IP VPNs. I bought the 2800's and the 3750 as thats what a lot of our clients use at there offices so I can double the use of them to work and study. Probably not needed for a home lab though.

Anyway back to your question: 2600XM's and 3640's will be OK for ROUTE, a 3550 and 2x 2950's will do you for most of SWITCH, a 3560/3750 would be nice but is not entirely needed. And you can always hook your lab up to dynamips to save on buying a crapload of routers.
    alxx wrote: »

Secondend

Just looking on eBay US at the moment (didn't see where you live)...

2801: going as low as 320 bucks
    2600XM: As low as 30 bucks with about 10 hours to go, otherwise there are ones around 120 bucks buy it now
    3550 EMI: Around 200-300 bucks
    2950: Around 30-50 bucks buy it now
    3560: Around 600-1000 bucks
  • Options
    ccie2beccie2be Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kerx wrote: »

Good that you're doing research. Opinion: As you are looking for equipment for both CCNP and CCIE, buy "as much as you can afford now".

Over time I've purchased "as much as I could afford" and acquired other by asking for unused / "old" equipment.

4 x 3750-24
    2 x 3560-48
    3 x 3550-48
    1 x 2811
    1 x 1841
    2 x 2620XM
    2 x 871
    3 x 2651 (non-xm)

To follow CCIE vendor workbook (INE, IPE, Narbik), I am 2 routers short which support 12.4T. My "old" 2651 (non-xm) routers dont support 12.4T, so I'm on lookout for 2600XMs (better yet = 1841s).

Now getting rid of the 3550s which will get me close to purchasing the routers.

Sure one has to "tighten the belt" (eat mac & cheese / ramien noodles) when scrounging for home lab equipment but it will definitely pay off.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    alxx wrote: »

It's been seconded. I'll third it.

:)
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    I understand you want a Physical Lab setup, how about a hybrid lab mixing physical with virtual?

Please understand that I am in no way trying to be mean but can I ask you why you would want to supply power to 10 routers instead of just one computer? I am just curious and trying to figure out why people are still under the impression that they need real routers in a training environment for R&S studies.

You've probably heard this a thousand times but you will save a ton of money up front on gear and on electric bills by going virtual.
  • Options
    The logic that I have behind a physical lab, is mostly what I read and my unique circumstance. I do not have any real life experience with physical Cisco equipment for a very long time. When I did, I was a Jr. Admin and just stacked the 2900 series switches on a rack. For my certificates, I feel that virtual labs are great, but having a physical lab will give me an edge. Also to mention that I might run into certain things that I won't in a virtualized lab.

Also, at this time, I'm not having much luck figuring out what type of Quad port cards to purchase for my virtualized lab to break out to physical switches. I found some old threads that recommend some quad port cards, but they are all very old and I can't find a reseller that sells them. By any chance, do you have a recommendation?

Thanks!
  • Options
    The intel cards pro 1000 if you can get them for a reasonable price.
    HP , Broadcom , dlink.

For me, I don't have access to any cisco equipment at work
    (I'm a hardware guy - embedded systems/electronics).

Software isn't as good for debugging (network debugging) as a real hardware setup
    and a virtual setup doesn't let you make the mistakes of plugging in the wrong cable or a dodgy cable or miscounting interface numbers or having a bad wic or wic not fully plugged in.
    Okay you don't need a full lab setup to experience this.

Power bill ? From my lab it would be the same as running a decent pc with gsn3 running
    as I don't leave the lab running when I'm not using it.

GSN3 is good but is only routers.

For some people playing with real hardware helps keep us motivated and gives us needed hands on experience which employers seem to like.
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    To answer your question regarding Quad Port NIC's I used the Adaptec 62044 below:

Adaptec - ANA-62044

They are a great card, the only downside that I found was during my CCIE R&S studies these cards do not support Trunking. Other than that they were good and not too expensive.

You could also do the usb to ethernet breakout method. That is always an alternative. To find more help I present the Hacki Dynamips Forum:

7200emu.hacki.at :: Index

This forum is great for any help you might need related to GNS3/Dynamips.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The hybrid approach is cool and is probably your best bet. You could be OK with GNS3 only (for ROUTE) if you have hands on at work. Even so, your own lab allows you to f around with things that your workplace would not let you do.

I have a 20 device physical lab but it's not for everyone - I enjoy it as a hobby and also as a study tool. To each his own.

If you combine a real lab with GNS3, use the GNS cloud to link them up.