Options

Question for the Community on salary negotiations.

CaydenCayden Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I was just curious on personal experience with negotiations on applying for jobs that considering a CCNA as a plus.

I am currently on my way to a position as an IP Engineer I in a cable network. While this current company is not known for paying the highest in salary, I was looking to get ammo for a counter offer. The current Job I am going to be getting looks like the range is from 38k - maybe 42k base salary. With majority getting the base pay. This position does not require the Certification where as the Engineer II position does. So in my mind I would be going in as a 1.5.

During my first interview they have accepted my year of lab environment as experience. So considering that I have about 1 year and 7 months of working knowledge of Cisco. The other 7 months coming from this networks Network Operations Center, which is my current position.

My current position requires us to interface with IP Engineers on a regular basis, and have helped work and fix issues with using them as my "smart hands" due to the lack of Config T access.

My lack of interview and negotiating concerns me that I am going to be stuck on the lower pay scale while taking on many of the higher guys responsibilities. But I must say I would take the position either way as the increase will be an increase either way and our network consists of Huawei, Ciena/Nortel and Cisco equipment. So is a great spot to get experience on many great platforms.

So I am curious as to what can be argued when given a low ball offer. From my research it appears Engineers with a CCNA average 43k - 58k (location to be considered) I live in the Iowa Region. All help will be much appreciated.