Options

Has a company ever said your hired to this one position and then re-track it?

ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
So I was super pumped to be on help desk tier 1, but from the sounds of it the company over estimated the need for the position. I already work there, but unfortunately if I don't get into help desk tier 1, i will no longer have a job. I cannot do the job i currently do because it requires lots of traveling all around the state of Washington. The reason why I do not want to do that is because the commute is horrible and I have school.

The help desk job was perfect for me because it was in a nearby location to where i live. Now they maybe pulling me off it. Companies should not present the job offer if they cannot keep their promise!!! I was even willing to work late shifts and not many people are willing to do that.

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did they actually say were hired? Did you sign paperwork? Did they say why they are pulling you off your current job?

WA state traffic is horrible...can't stand I-405 and 167.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've had this happen (at my current company) and for one government job that required a clearance the policy was your spot isn't reserved, if someone clears before you for the same spot it is theirs. My current job I was hired as a NOC Analyst and they still had me do helpdesk related work. A couple months later they were restructuring things and gave me no choice, just said you're helpdesk now (to add insult to injury, I trained my replacements). That being said, I stuck it out and things are pretty good now. My suggestion is to see what happens. If it looks like it definitely will not pan out, get the resume out there and see what you find. It is definitely crap that they offer a job and then back peddle later (though I will say that I've been to interviews where I was told the job was mine and then heard nothing after).

Here is a shinning example of someone who go screwed big time on a deal like this (he ultimately made out ok):

Law: Seagate gave a man a non-existent job - Gets sued into a coma | TechEye
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hasnt happened to me but that is so unprofessional! I would be glad not to be working with those flip floppers, imagine the nightmares with HR.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Did they actually say were hired? Did you sign paperwork? Did they say why they are pulling you off your current job?

WA state traffic is horrible...can't stand I-405 and 167.

did not sign any paperwork at all...just had the interview and they said i could start working on september 16th. i am still doing another job for the same company so I assumed that i would sign something before i got on. Two other guy's went to help desk and there were 3 spots open. They all signed paperwork the day before they left the same project that I am still on now. All 3 of us started at the same time.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did they give a reason why 2 out of the 3 position are now filled? I would document everything you can remember. They definitely owe you an explanation as to why you were not hired for that position.
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That sucks. It's happened to me twice. First was a postion with a company I was working for. They had a position on another project that was perfect for me (I had done a good portion of the planning for the work that the project encompassed) so they pushed my name forward and papers were signed, yada yada. Well, ultimately the customer retracted the request for the position which kind of left my in a bad spot because my manager at the time was a bit hurt that I was leaving his project. Suffice to say it was awkward having to say, "Hey! So... yeah, I'm not leaving after all." Second was a job that the company had solicited me for. They brought me in for an interview, said they liked me, HR sent me all the paperwork and I signed. They said they'd call me with a start date and never called back. So I called the HR person who I submitted the paperwork to and she never answered my calls. I moved on, but got a call from them 6 months later saying they had a start date if I was still interested. I said thank you, but no thank you. How can you trust a company that leaves you in the dark for 6 months?
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Did they give a reason why 2 out of the 3 position are now filled? I would document everything you can remember. They definitely owe you an explanation as to why you were not hired for that position.

Well 2/3 of the positions went to the co-workers who were on the same project that I was on and am still on. The thing that also sucks about it is they are willing to hire people who want to make $20 an hour instead of someone whose making $13 an hour currently at the company and they are the same position as the other guy's. Why you ask am I making such a low income? A: I do not know how to negotiate for money and I take whatever they give me. I have the A+, which many of the people in the same contract position as me do not. Is it my lack of experience? I only have 3 months in IT, and soon to be 4 months if you count it as professional experience. GRRR why is this happening to me?

If I don't get either of these jobs I'm thinking about just getting my AA in Technical Support, and just playing video games for the rest of my life at my moms house. This is not like me, usually I am motivated and out to get education and experience. Now I've been shot down for no reason. I am a hard worker! I am willing to work nights! I am willing to work for low pay! Is it because I am white and companies want to be more cultural? What is wrong with me!!! icon_sad.gif