Options

Learning IOS XR

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Santy has came early and brought me some ASRs to play with :)

Now, ive never touched/looked into IOS XR to date but are now going to have to make that dive. From what ive looked at so far, its very JunOS like.

Anyway, my question is to those out there who use XR is what are the resources you've used to learn the new OS? any books, cbt's, documents and so forth will be much appreciated.

I have the XR fundamentals book on order.

Also came across this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5845/prod_command_reference_list.html which looks like an excellent resource.

Thanks
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    I first touched IOS XR earlier this year at the Cisco Live tech workshop and loved it! Internally it works very different to IOS but at the configuration level it still feels enough like vanilla IOS for you to quickly pick it up.

I've got the Cisco IOS XR Fundamentals book on mysafari and used that recently when we first bought a pair of ASRs. Seemed pretty good, cisco.com had all the rest I need to know.
  • Options
    Anyone else? there must be a few heavyweights around here which use XR? :)

• Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Alright Nel, long time no speak............

Not used XR, I've heard that's quite "Linuxy" but used the NEXUS NX-OS quite a bit. It wasn't too much different from IOS from a configuration perspective except all "features" are switched off by default i.e. everything.

So for example before you could actually configure hsrp you have to enable the hsrp feature on the switch, same for ospf, eigrp but a lot of the commands are the same or very similar (that I used anyway).

It was more getting to grips with specific features on the NEXUS like VPC and how the chassis operates and how to configure them than the code for HSRP or things like that.

Doesn't really answer your question but sure someone else will be able to help more... Embrace it!
  • Options
    malcybood wrote: »
    Alright Nel, long time no speak............

Not used XR, I've heard that's quite "Linuxy" but used the NEXUS NX-OS quite a bit. It wasn't too much different from IOS from a configuration perspective except all "features" are switched off by default i.e. everything.

So for example before you could actually configure hsrp you have to enable the hsrp feature on the switch, same for ospf, eigrp but a lot of the commands are the same or very similar (that I used anyway).

It was more getting to grips with specific features on the NEXUS like VPC and how the chassis operates and how to configure them than the code for HSRP or things like that.

Doesn't really answer your question but sure someone else will be able to help more... Embrace it!

hey man, indeed it is! hope your doing well!

oh yeah, this is a huge project for us so im getting in there for sure! cant wait. So far im very impressed with the ASRs. Just a shame there isnt too much material out there for them :s