Options

Question about sponsorship

jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
I'm entertaining the thought of taking a crack at CISSP at some point before the end of the year. I've been studying in the background since taking Sec+ last year. I've stepped it up a bit in recent months, and feel like with another couple months of serious studying I can do well.

The only issue is, I don't know any other CISSPs to sponsor me. Can ISC2 still do an audit to determine if a candidate is eligible without a sponsor? If so, what exactly does this entail? Do you provide them with references? Do they investigate your work history? Just trying to an idea of what's involved before I spend nearly $400 on the test only to find out I can't do it without a sponsor.
"Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    You can take the CISSP exam anytime. You must pass the exam and have at least four years (with your Security+ cert) of documented and verifiable professional Information Security work experience. Only after that will you need an endorser who already has an (ISC)2 certification and is in "good standing" with the (ISC)2.
  • Options
    BillyCBillyC Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a similar question, with a slight wrinkle. I passed the Security+ exam several months ago and have recently decided to take the CISSP exam. Someone I work with is in good standing with (ISC)2 and says he would act as my sponsor. Thing is, I will have worked at my current job about 3 years by the time will take the CISSP exam. Nobody at my previous job held certification with (ISC)2. Any insight as to what I could do to account for the 4 years of professional work experience?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    For the CISSP, you need 4 years of professional work experience in at least two of the ten domains of the CISSP CBK. The preferred endorser is someone who has worked with you (peer or supervisor) and is familiar first-hand with your work experience. If your endorser is not personally familiar with your work, your need to provides references to people who can verify your work experience. So endorsement is like what a hiring manger does to verify your resume.