Dabbling in video editing

SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
Looking to dabble in the latest editions of Adobe Premiere and After Effects. Want to know if the following specs are good enough. Also, how much of a difference is there by NOT having an Nvidia card? I will probably be working in standard video definition because of my camera.

Core i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
8GB RAM > bump up to 16GB?
ATI 6950 2GB
2x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (System)
2x WD Blacks 640GB RAID0 (Scratch Disks)

Thanks.
WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???

Comments

• wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you will be ok.

My PC is 3 years old Core2Quad 2.4 Ghz with 4GB RAM and an old Nvidea GTS 250 Card, I played with sony vegas, Full HD videos and it was fine.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    You should be fine. I have an i7 860, and a 5850... haven't really started editing videos yet, but I opened the program and messed around a little. I quickly realized I had no idea what I'm doing with this stuff. :p
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you should be fine with the those specs.

These are some of the specs for Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

Windows
    • Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required
    • 64-bit operating system required: Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 or Windows® 7
    • 2 GB of RAM (4 GB or more recommended)
    • 10 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash-based storage devices)
    • 7200-RPM hard drive for editing compressed video formats; RAID 0 for uncompressed
    • 1280 x 900 display with OpenGL 2.0–compatible video card
    • Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance
    • Adobe-certified card for capture and export to tape for SD/HD workflows
    • OHCI-compatible IEEE 1394 port for DV and HDV capture, export to tape, and transmit to DV device
    • Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model
    • DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs (DVD+-R burner for burning DVDs; Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray Disc media)
    • QuickTime 7.6.2 software required for QuickTime features
    • Broadband Internet connection required for online services*
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• SteveLord wrote: »
    Looking to dabble in the latest editions of Adobe Premiere and After Effects. Want to know if the following specs are good enough. Also, how much of a difference is there by NOT having an Nvidia card? I will probably be working in standard video definition because of my camera.

Core i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    8GB RAM > bump up to 16GB?
    ATI 6950 2GB
    2x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (System)
    2x WD Blacks 640GB RAID0 (Scratch Disks)

Thanks.

For standard definition video, that system will be sufficient though you will want to double the RAM to get a fat performance boost since you will be relying heavily on the CPU cores and system memory with that configuration. Without an Nvidia card, your performance will not be greatly hindered but it sure won't be anywhere near as fast as it would be with CUDA acceleration since ATI Stream acceleration is not used at all in Adobe software.