Quick wireless question

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
I recently got a new router and I noticed when my dlink router shows 300 Mbps Windows only reports 150 Mbps and when my dlink router shows 130 Mbps (when my channel width goes back to 20 MHz) Windows only reports 65 Mbps.

Is it the case that the dlink page shows speeds at half duplex while Windows is showing speeds at full duplex?

Comments

• hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    From my understanding, wireless N has a theoretical throughput of 300 Mbps, but when it's in actual use, the throughput is half of that.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I had a dlink a while back, it didn't last very long.

With my Linksys WRT330N, the built-in Intel Wireless-N card on my HP EliteBook 8440p shows that I am connected at 300Mbps.

802.11n is actually supposed to go upt o 600Mbps now... I haven't used any equipment capable of that yet.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Rarely will you see 300. You are lucky to get 150 or above, especially if it is wireless N on 2.4 GHz. You need to be on 5 GHz to get the full speed.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Too bad there is no force 40MHz channel width option (there was an option in the earlier draft N hardware version of my model.) From what I have read the force 40MHz option was removed so that they could claim full 802.11n compliance. It would have been nice if they offered an alternate version of the firmware with the option(with a disclaimer stating that the firmware version does not have full 802.11n compliance).
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Would a DD-WRT firmware get you what you wanted? You might want to look up that.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Would a DD-WRT firmware get you what you wanted? You might want to look up that.

Unfortunately my model (DIR-655) isn't currently supported, good idea though. At least the router does have good range. I don't do a lot of PC to PC file transfers so getting 150 Mbps isn't a necessity although it would be nice.