Options

Router to start

MorbidBitMorbidBit Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Guys!!
Last semester I took the class Network Fundamentals (CCNA Exploration Companion Guide), and now I'm taking Routing Protocols and Concepts (CCNA Exploration Companion Guide). There are several labs in those books using Packet Tracer, and I'm thinking about buy some router to do real practice at home. What do you guys think that is a good router to practice at home?. The Routing Protocols and Concepts book recommends Cisco 1841 Integrated Services Router. I was looking in CertificationKits website, and it has a cost of $449.99. However, I was looking some kits for the same price. What is better for me?. I'm not planning to take some Cisco certification yet. I just want to learn, practice and pass my course.
I will appreciate some opinions

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    If you're only looking to pass the course, I don't think you'll need to get anything. If the course curriculum is designed around Packet Tracer, I would assume that would suffice. That's really not that much at the CCNA level that you can't do in Packet Tracer.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First off, welcome to the forum!

Pham0329 is correct, Packet Tracer will get you through the courses, but it doesn't solve the "I've never touched a router" problem. It's always a good thing to have something to get your hands on, even if it's modest. 1721 and 1760 routers can be had for under $50, and 2950 switches for usually a bit less and this gear will do everything you need for the CCNA and more. I would say that a 1800 series router is probably overkill at this point in the game for you.

Does your school not have any actual equipment to use during the course? If you can get a few hours a week of hands on time in school then that will go a long way towards eliminating the need for a home lab. My school provided us with nearly 24/7 access to a lab full of gear way better than I would ever be able to afford.
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    If you want to have the "real" deal for ccna and like to touch things i would suggest getting ONE real router and maybe one or two 2950 switches.

For the remaining issues you should get into GNS 3 an emulate everyting that you feel you should.

I did my CCNA with packet tracer and no real equipment but i had some expierience with real gear from former jobs.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    ZachBZachB Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm more hands on, so I have 4 2950's, 2 1760's, 2611xm, and a 3620 plus a variety of WIC's and network modules. All can be had for great prices on eBay. Packet Tracer and GNS3 are nice to have but nothing really takes the place of actual equipment in my opinion.
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    Agree with that, but i also have to say that having the physical device offers not much more then having to plug the cables in and console to it.

Sure you can stack em, rack em, upgrade em.

But the important stuff is in the ios - and if you prepare for CCNA certification, having one router is more then enough if you connect it to GNS 3 and include it in your routing labs.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    ZachB wrote: »
    I'm more hands on, so I have 4 2950's, 2 1760's, 2611xm, and a 3620 plus a variety of WIC's and network modules. All can be had for great prices on eBay. Packet Tracer and GNS3 are nice to have but nothing really takes the place of actual equipment in my opinion.

I understand that PacketTracer and GNS3 have its limitation, but how can you be "hands on" when it comes to Cisco, when all the work is done through the CLI, which PT and GNS3 offers?
  • Options
    pham0329 wrote: »
    I understand that PacketTracer and GNS3 have its limitation, but how can you be "hands on" when it comes to Cisco, when all the work is done through the CLI, which PT and GNS3 offers?

Hmm. You're right.

I guess everyone who builds a lab is just silly. :)
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    Because you learn "interesting" things when you buy lab gear from ebay. Like password resetting, which cards will fit, how much ram, which ios can I squeeze on without upgrading. I have an awesome serial cable that will cause a flapping interface if plugged into one port, works on all the others, and other cables work on that port, but you don't learn these things in simulators.

Just this morning I was asked to pull a card from a switch, I work in the NOC, we do everything through the CLI...... You get my point.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

Think layer 1 stuff. Packet Tracer can't simulate a serial cable that hasn't been pushed in all the way or a WIC that is dying and giving you intermittent problems. You get to experience things like this with real equipment and come out the other end of it all a better troubleshooter. With a simulator, the cable is either there or it isn't, it's never bad, and it's always in right.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Think layer 1 stuff. Packet Tracer can't simulate a serial cable that hasn't been pushed in all the way or a WIC that is dying and giving you intermittent problems. You get to experience things like this with real equipment and come out the other end of it all a better troubleshooter. With a simulator, the cable is either there or it isn't, it's never bad, and it's always in right.

I suppose...but how often do cables go bad? I would imagine some people have their lab for the entire time they're studying, and never run into a bad cable problem. Plugging and unplugging cables is only fun the first few times!
  • Options
    I suppose...but how often do cables go bad? I would imagine some people have their lab for the entire time they're studying, and never run into a bad cable problem. Plugging and unplugging cables is only fun the first few times!

If plugging and unplugging cables for study bothers someone that badly they may want to reconsider the profession. If someone was applying for a job and said they had never touched an actual router and had only learned with sims that also doesn't really look good. There is a lot to be learned from building a lab and going through the steps of sourcing, upgrading, resetting passwords, and dealing with any idiosyncrocies that may be encountered during the course of setting up used hardware.

There's definitely nothing wrong with packet tracer and GNS3. They're awesome tools. I simply prefer actual hardware.
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261

Well I put in approximatly 2-3 tickets every night to have T1 circuits tested because they are taking errors, now probably only 15% of those actually require dispatch out (actual cable problems), but that is still a rather large number.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    MorbidBit wrote: »
    What do you guys think that is a good router to practice at home?. The Routing Protocols and Concepts book recommends Cisco 1841 Integrated Services Router. I was looking in CertificationKits website, and it has a cost of $449.99. However, I was looking some kits for the same price. What is better for me?. I'm not planning to take some Cisco certification yet. I just want to learn, practice and pass my course.
    I will appreciate some opinions

Thanks!!

1721 , 1751 , 1760 , 1761, 2600xm's
    Make sure to check how much ram you need to run the more recent ios versions.

Or if you have a higher budget could look at 2800's , 3700's , 1801 or 1841

For switches
    2950 and 3550 or newer

Seen a few 1800's go on ebay Australia for around $250.
    Missed on two yesterday.

Avoid the premade kits they are usually older equipment for a much higher price.

If you want a cheap lab for $150 to 250 - just take your time , be careful and and read the fine print (and check the sh version output of what ever you are buying) and be patient buying the equipment

few links to have a read of

Cisco Cert Zone
    CCNA Build Lists
    Cisco Cert Zone: Index Page: CCNP Lab Series, 2010
    CCNP Build Lists

Having real equipment really helps with hands on debugging
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014