Anyone upgraded a production vSphere 4 environment yet ?

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
We got another cluster order in (based on vSphere 5) which would mean upgrading at least our vcenter and I am somewhat .. well .. unsure if that is a good idea :)

Easy to say "no, never go with RTM / .0 versions" - but I hope someone did take the blue pill already and went for it (would make me feel a lot better) :)
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    No production environments yet, still pretty early in my opinion. I have upgraded my lab which was very smooth. Veeam applications and vSphere plugins (NetApp VSC) continued to function correctly. The only thing that surprised me was that 5 doesn't have enterprise converter anymore, but the standalone version works fine.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kalebksp wrote: »
    No production environments yet, still pretty early in my opinion. I have upgraded my lab which was very smooth. Veeam applications and vSphere plugins (NetApp VSC) continued to function correctly. The only thing that surprised me was that 5 doesn't have enterprise converter anymore, but the standalone version works fine.

Mmmm.... I am currently using a nested test cluster for study purposes but not sure if I would use it in production either .. Haven't even tested the Equallogic Plugin yet.

I have read the release notes about known issues and some of them are quite significant I think (the ones related to our environment / features used anyway).
    - Some Cisco switches drop packets with priority bit set
    - Significant delay in the ESXi boot process during VLAN configuration and driver loading
    - ESX 4.0 Update 2 hosts might crash after vCenter Server upgrade to version 5.0
    - Information in the Virtual Machines tab might not refresh
    - vCenter Server Crashes When Exporting System Logs
    - Search in the vSphere Client or vSphere Web Client shows out-of-date results or times out
    - Linux kernels earlier than 2.6.27 do not report nonpowers of 2 cores per socket
    - The snapshot disk path in the .vmsd snapshot database file and the parent path in the delta disk descriptor file are not updated after migration
    - Virtual machine disks retain their original format after a Storage vMotion operation in which the user specifies a disk format change
    - vSphere HA fails to restart a virtual machine that was being migrated using vMotion when a host failure occurred.
    - USB devices passed through from an ESXi host to a virtual machine might disconnect - If vCenter Server 5.0 manages a host earlier than ESX/ESXi 4.0 Update 3, you cannot migrate virtual machines with snapshots or delta disks to that host

I already noticed the bootup process being extremely slow although I put it down to the fact I run it nested - seems like "normal"
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kalebksp wrote: »

Good to know Veeam works.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    Good to know Veeam works.

Does it work in appliance mode too ?
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Does it work in appliance mode too ?

I have Veeam running in network mode.