Options

AD HOC???

GR8BA55GR8BA55 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can anyone expalin to me what AD HOC is? icon_wink.gif

THANX AGAIN ALL!!!

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It means unplanned, unprepared. For example, when an expected problem occurs and needs to be solved right away, an ad hoc decision is made (or a decision is made ad hoc) about how to deal with it.

Not really an A+ topic... and it 'is' in the dictionary. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    bananamanbananaman Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ad hoc is a term used to define a wireless peer-to-peer network. What this means is that the wireless network does not use some type of Access Point (AP) or a wireless router. The other type of wireless network is called an infrastructure, which does use an AP or wireless router. ad hoc was most likely a question drawn from the bank of questions in the Basics of Networking section of the exam. I hope this helps you out.
  • Options
    bananamanbananaman Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my previous post I mentioned an exam, sorry, I thought you were talking about ad hoc on the A+ exam for some reason. (Just answered 3 A+ questions earlier today.) My bad.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    icon_lol.gif@.gif myself.

Didn't expect that to be an A+ topic actually, but DanDaMan is correct if you are referring to wireless networks.
  • Options
    paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
    I've always wondered what the term ad hoc meant. (I know it didn't originate with wireless networks). As far as wireless networks go this may be helpful: http://www.boostitsolutions.com/NETBASIC/FNWD0050.HTM
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson