Options

Is this right?

entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
This is a question I had on a practice exam, but I think there is a mistake.

Your customer has bought a second hard disk and added it an existing computer. The first hard disk is having one primary partition and one Extended partition. The extended partition is divided into two logical drives D and E. When you install the second hard drive and format it, what would be the drive letter assigned to the first logical drive on the extended partition of first hard disk? Assume that the second hard disk has one primary partition and only one logical drive on the Extended partition.

1. "D"
2. "E"
3. "F"
4. "G"

The correct answer is 2, the first logical drive would be "E". I thought it would be D, unless the question was meant to read that the logical drives are E and F instead of D and E. I ask because here is the explanation:

The revised drive assignment looks as follows:
Drive 1: C (Primary Partition), E (First logical Drive), F (Second logical Drive)
Drive 2: D (Primary Partition), G( for Logical drive on Extended Partition)
In addition, please note the following:
DOS, Windows3.1 Windows 95/ 98 operating systems share the following criteria:
6. Each can have only one primary partition per hard disk
7. The primary partition is automatically assigned a drive letter
8. Each hard disk can have only one Extended partition
9. You can create one or more logical drives in the Extended partition.
10. The drive letters are assigned manually to logical drives.

E and F are listed as the logical drives in the explanation, but D and E are listed as the logical drives in the question.
CompTIA A+ Certified - July 5th, 2005

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I swore I answered a similar question on this site recently, but cannot find it icon_confused.gif

Your first HDD Primary partition will be C: and anything on the Extended partition will be D:, E:, F:, etc..

If you add a second HDD, it's primary partition will become D. The lettering on the primary drives Extend partition will slide down to the next available letter.

Primary partitions get priority.

Don't confuse Primary/Secondary devices on the controller to the partitions on the drive.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
    Ohh okay. Thanks!
    CompTIA A+ Certified - July 5th, 2005
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Glad to be of help.

You can later force the drive lettering, but I figured you were not looking for that info, just how it defaults :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?