Linkedin help.

wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

My profile is a mess I've worked 5 different jobs 4 of them being help desk with a lot of different responsibilities. As someone in IT where we often wear many hats do you have any tips where I can clean up everything yet tell enough to say "here is what I did".

Right now I have every job laid out and what I did at each job such as

Job #1 IS Support
First line of support via phone, e-mail and walk up
Wrote documentation for internal IT use and non IT use
Managed Firebox firewalls
Managed Active directory

You get the point its messy and I just can't figure out a way to put enough information and yet not make it look like a car crash of lists.

Linkedin profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rotto84

Thank you for any tips or pointers you can provide.

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not sure we can help you here without seeing it. Using bullet points and not full sentences usually cleans things up a little bit, but it looks like you already have that format.

Did you know there is a TE group on linkedin?
    TechExams.net group | LinkedIn
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane,

I added my profile link.

Thanks!
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Not sure we can help you here without seeing it. Using bullet points and not full sentences usually cleans things up a little bit, but it looks like you already have that format.

Did you know there is a TE group on linkedin?
    TechExams.net group | LinkedIn

Coolios! someone add me! I just attempted to join.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    wweboy wrote: »
    Managed Active directory

This don't tell much about your experience.

If someone is considering you for a sys admin position, they would be interested in knowing that you wrote some awesome GPO's to publish software and redirect user documents to the network. They want to know that you setup multiple sites in Active Directory and deployed ADC's to each site. They want to know that you setup a working L2TP VPN tunnel on the Firebox firewall or that you created all the NAT rules to redirect email to your Exchange box.
    wweboy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My profile is a mess I've worked 5 different jobs 4 of them being help desk with a lot of different responsibilities. As someone in IT where we often wear many hats do you have any tips where I can clean up everything yet tell enough to say "here is what I did".

Right now I have every job laid out and what I did at each job such as

Job #1 IS Support
    First line of support via phone, e-mail and walk up
    Managed Active directory

You get the point its messy and I just can't figure out a way to put enough information and yet not make it look like a car crash of lists.

Linkedin profile: Robert Otto | LinkedIn

Thank you for any tips or pointers you can provide.

If you understand how Blackberries, Active Directory, Firewalls, SCCM, Backups, and stuff work, you seem primed to step up to something a little heavier.

I see that you've started on your Microsoft certs, so you might want to start looking at the server stuff at this point, because I think you're probably mastered the desktops by now. Servers and Virtualization study is what I'd advise at this point.

Do the people you work with know that you want to move higher?

EDIT:

With regards to the Linked In profile, I left off the position descriptions on mine, as it just led to recruiters calling me to work on something in particular they saw, so for now, it is very generic looking.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    rsutton wrote: »
    This don't tell much about your experience.

If someone is considering you for a sys admin position, they would be interested in knowing that you wrote some awesome GPO's to publish software and redirect user documents to the network. They want to know that you setup multiple sites in Active Directory and deployed ADC's to each site. They want to know that you setup a working L2TP VPN tunnel on the Firebox firewall or that you created all the NAT rules to redirect email to your Exchange box.

LOL. Your advice seems to be much more topic appropriate. The person was asking how to improve/enhance their Linkedin profile, not how to minimize it, as I suggested.