WiFi solution?

zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is there any reason why I shouldn't deploy Meraki? I really like their products and it looks like it is very easy to deploy and manage. I am not a wireless guy and I have a very tight deadline to deploy a WiFi solution for two locations with less than 5 APs per location.

I am also looking at Aruba Instant APs so I haven't really decided yet. Cisco would be nice, but not really sure if I want to start spending a lot of money for Cisco 2106 WLCs.

If you can suggest other WiFi solution, please let me know. Would really appreciate it.

The requirements and would like to have are the following:
Inexpensive
Easy to manage and easy to deploy
Splash page
Web content filtering
Scalable
Rogue AP detection

** Darn, I put it on the wrong section! I thought I was on the Off Topic section! Please move it to the right section. **
:study: Life+

Comments

• zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anybody can suggest anything? Pretty please?
  • PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    I'm also looking toward updating a campus-wide wireless infrastructure. In November I'm attending a workshop on Aruba, Meru, and Meraki with other schools who have rolled out wireless solutions with those vendors.

Even though I've done a few wireless deployments, I can't offer much advice other than stay away from HP if you don't want to drop several grand on a wireless controller.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
    Thanks for the feedback. Wasn't really looking at HP for any networking equipment to be honest. :)
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We use Aruba where I work, and I believe we're all very happy with it. In total, we have about 30 AP's, 12 controllers, and one master controller. The web GUI is very well thought out and easy to use. You can reach any devices web page from any other device, which means no need to go back to the master to check on another device. There's a few other small nuances like this that help make it great.

My favorite part of it is that every controller and AP has 2 partitions, and when you push down a new update or ios, it installs to the non-used partition, and reboots to the new version, keeping the old intact. If for any reason the new install has issues, it automatically reverts to the old. I don't know if every manufacturer has this and it could be a common thing, but I love it!
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    We recently faced the same question with one of the school's that we support. After investigating the different options, we decided to offer (then install) Ruckus.

I have to say that we've had no problems with the kit.
  • phonetic.manphonetic.man Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use Aruba where I work. We will be expanding from our current 10 APs to 50 APs at three locations using 1 controller during this school year. I then run all ProCurve switches (1GB and Full POE across all ports) in the MDFs and IDFs and 2 Cisco routers for the small amount of routing that happens (one internal and one to our K20 connection). I really like Aruba. Really easy to setup, use and manage. And just all around good hardware from what I can tell.

Out of the 3 field techs I work with they deal with Aruba, Cisco, and Ruckus (they all dislike Ruckus due to how it is setup and works). I haven't worked with Ruckus so for all I know it could just be personal bias on their part.

On a side note, there is a yearly K12 tech conference that rotates between Seattle, Portland and I think Yakima. One of the the three field techs I work with manages their wireless setup for the conference and it is all run with Aruba.
    Currently studying: Backup Academy, CWNA, MCSA:08, iBoss ISCP
  • unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Aerohive...no controllers, no designated ap type (ie this ap must be a mesh point, this ap must be for client access, etc.), VPN, NAT, stateful firewall, captive portal for guest access, layer 2 SPF/"routing" to dynamically re-route traffic around AP failures, rogue detection and mitigation, wireless QoS, and on and on. Excellent troubleshooting tools, client stats, etc. The hivemanager is the main UI for CAPWAP but is in no way shape or form a controller; it can be physical or virtual. If you use a 300 series AP you can use it to manage up to 12 APs if you don't want/need centralized administration. We did a bake-off between Stubs, Teapeze, and Aerohive and Aerohive won easily (this was a few years ago).
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Damn spellcheck, not Stubs, Aruba. Not Teapeze, Trapeze
    Preparing for CCIE Written
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like there are two votes for Aruba. I am surprised no Meraki yet since they're gaining popularity.

As mentioned, Aruba Instant is another product I am looking at. This AP does not need a controller but offers pretty much the same as the ones with controller. It can control up to 16 APs per group. If you ever decide to manage the APs centrally, you can always purchase the AirWave. At least, that's how I understood it.

If anybody can share some more, please do so. TIA!
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    zerglings wrote: »
    Is there any reason why I shouldn't deploy Meraki? I really like their products and it looks like it is very easy to deploy and manage. I am not a wireless guy and I have a very tight deadline to deploy a WiFi solution for two locations with less than 5 APs per location.

I am also looking at Aruba Instant APs so I haven't really decided yet. Cisco would be nice, but not really sure if I want to start spending a lot of money for Cisco 2106 WLCs.

If you can suggest other WiFi solution, please let me know. Would really appreciate it.

The requirements and would like to have are the following:
    Inexpensive
    Easy to manage and easy to deploy
    Splash page
    Web content filtering
    Scalable
    Rogue AP detection

** Darn, I put it on the wrong section! I thought I was on the Off Topic section! Please move it to the right section. **

I have deployed several Meraki networks and I have become a huge fan. It is loads simpler than Aruba and Cisco and just as high quality. I wouldn't call it inexpensive though. PM me if you want a tour of one of my wifi networks.
  • qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    Ruckus!

I did demos with all the major players last spring and did months of research.

Ended up taking the plunge with Ruckus. Deployed about 100 WAPs district wide this summer and a central hardware controller. It works great!

Took it a step further and used Microsoft NPS for computer based RADIUS authentication and life is easy on the wireless side now.

Ruckus offered all of the major features with no extra costs, low low costs through their partners for everythibg elsw and awesome support
    Thanks guys. I've decided to try Meraki and Aruba. Will update you guys when I make a decision.
  • ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    What ever happened with this?

I currently took a position involving Aruba WLAN's and it's been great!
  • fluk3dfluk3d Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have deployed enterprise cisco, aruba, hp and by far the best one and simplest that offered a ton of services was Ruckus wireless

Ruckus Wireless

If you do a quick google search you can see reviews comparing there technology to the others.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    We've recently made the switch from Cisco to Meraki and I've been a huge fan. More visability, easier to manage, better support - it's all good.